Vent cover removal

Les

I have not seen this connection and can't find information on the internet. Can someone please tell me how to remove this cover for access to reseal my vent below. I dont know if that white thing needs to be slipped off.  I dont want to break anything. 

20220911_100021.jpg

20220911_100257.jpg

20220911_100004.jpg

Yeah apparently no one uses anything like this anymore. I would clean it up really good, see if there are any hidden screws under the gunk. If not slide it out is the only choice. Spray with some lubricant. Maybe heat it up a bit with a hair dryer or very carefully a heat gun. Please only a tiny bit.

Then take a narrow flat edge, thin screwdriver and see if you can wiggle it out slowly. Old plastic gets brittle. Might not be a way to save it but hope you're lucky.

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I kind of figured that would be the answer. I didn't want to pry at the white thing without asking (I am lying, I really really really wanted to pry at it but held myself back)  I will give it a go. Worse case scenario is me buying a new cover.

I want to thank you all again for being there to answer all these newbie questions. You guys ROCK!

It looks like the retainers are aluminium and the cover has plastic knobs that are trapped in the u channels. Original install was squeeze the sides and pop the knobs into the u channel.

Instead of trying to flex the OLD plastic now. Try using a 1" wide chisel to pry the aluminium up enough to wiggle the cover out.

Clean every thing up and slide the cover back in and use a rubber mallet to bend the clip back. IF the plastic cover is still flexible use some washers as spacers and hammer the clip back into shape, then flex the cover and pop it into place.

P.S. f the brackets are steel...fergetabotit

Edited by WME