I think the charcoal cannister has failed on the Sunrader, we smell gas (just occasionally) and the tank is pressurized slightly when the temperature goes up or when we drive far. I cant get a new one here in Mexico, is it ok to bypass it temporarily or can we plug the lower hose. The vent hose to tank bubbles when I blow in to it, indicating an overfull expansion tank, but I think the problem is in the check valves in the cannister. I worry about a flash back into the tank if I bypass the cannister, but maybe I am just being paranoid.

Hope someone can give me a work around.

Thanx in advance Tony

For years fuel tanks were just plain vented the charcoal canister was installed to trap hydrocarbons it's tied into the carb also. It is normal to have a little pressure in the tank when you unscrew the cap part of the evap emission system. You can remove the tank line and let it vent to the air I would not plug any thing. I think that system has an electric purge valve that is controlled by the emission system. As you say it may not have a problem at all older carb engines to me all ways smelled a little of gas.

Hey Maineah, I was hoping you would weigh in on this, would it be ok/advisable to route the vent line straight into the vacuum port without the cannister in the line? I worry a bit about a backfire flashing into the tank.

We wont be moving for a couple more days, then down to the Mexican coast near Acapulco.

Please have a good Xmass & eat lotsa turkey.

Tony

It would most likely make it run rich. Most new efi systems have fuel pumps in the tank little spark producing brushes on the pump motors the fuel vapors are much too high so there is little air to promote combustion so you probably are quite safe. Enjoy your Christmas Peace, Tim White Crow

Can you remove the cannister and see if you can drain it by turning it up side down?? May a small ice pick hole and when its empty use epoxy to seal it.

• 2 weeks later...

The gas tank isnt pressurized any more. I think it is the check valves on the cannister that have failed. Will leave the vacuum line from the tank connected to the intake manifold until we get back to the US. Thanx again for your help.

Tony (in Manzanillo)