Collision (caution graphic)

Supurcar

Okay it is not as bad as the header, but my wife is in tears over this. I will not go into any details of who or how it happened. I am not sure if I will be able to repair it or not, I am torn between thinking I should sell it or part it out, and fixing it. I have looked up the price of a hood, bumper and fender and it is around $500 to $600 for new replacements. I am sure I could shave that down at the junkyard, but then there is the labor of swapping them out. Plus I can see it needs a lot more than just these items. For sure the headlamp assembly, grill, air dam and I have not even opened the hood yet (frozen shut and a foot deep in snow at present). If I was to guess I say a body shop would be looking for $2500 to $4000 to make this like new and that is maybe more than it is worth? Well here is the picture and I guess any opinion is welcome at this point. It is a 1987 Sunrader with just over 70k miles on it, I just replaced all the carpet, and everything works, except the left front headlight and blinker, yes I still have a sense of humor.

post-1272-1230004320_thumb.jpg

Howdy Robert...

What I would do is take it to a body shop and get an estimate. A solid estimate would be more informative to you than the guestimates your doing now. Maybe some of the bent parts can be bumped and straightened out. Get more info , Sir. That way you can make a better decision.

i dont think 600 dollars worth in damage is worth getting rid of it or parting it out.

check out certifit.com for your body panels, i assume it must have been her fault and no full coverage? if you go to the junk yard you may be able to find panels already in your paint collor and that will save you the cost of paint

Suprcar.-- Shop rat and every one else is right in my books.You know the Toy. Get a couple of prices from the body shops in your area.

I've done a lot of body work but it's not my trade.Restoring my nephews 46 Chev.2 ton truck at the moment. It just takes time and not a foot of snow

Give time a chance to take care of the shock.I've rushed off and done things that turned out not to be the right one just because I hurried.

A few year ago I worked at a job and one of the bright young sparks that worked with me kept a close eye on me to make sure I was doing my work and his too.

After carefully looking it over he said 'Pops you don't move to fast'.I felt called upon to inform him if he saw me moving fast he should stay 10ft. in front of me and never look back and he would be safe.

Same rule works here.Don't look back.Stay ahead of the problem.

Steve.

Thanks for all the input and ideas, we have not decided what to do yet. I am looking at all options and was hoping to get perspective from the good folks here at TMH.COM. I have done some restoring myself, I have an old 1972 911t Porsche that is ahead of the Toyota in line and it needs some $$ as well. Once I can get at the RV I will dismantle the front end and see what it really needs, and I am sure I will post in here for more suggestions, I really appreciate the links for replacement parts, especially bargain sites ha ha. Another issue is my neighborhood does not allow projects in the driveway, I have had it in my driveway and no one has complained. But I do not want to push the limits of their patients. One project I was going to tackle here soon was to make an RV pad on my sideyard. Maybe if I can get the bumper off I can park it face first so the neighbor can not see the damage. Again many thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Merry Christmas

Hello Robert,

The toyota trucks are stronger than one might think, I am going to guess that there is no frame damage.

I used to own a 1986 Toyota pickup truck and while sitting at a red light I witness an accident in the

intersection that resulted in a car flying straight at me, which hit me square on, then hit the car next

to me. The car next to me and the car that hit me were totalled. My truck was kicked back eight feet

and spun sideways, the bumper was crushed, the hood was bent, and one fender was bent. There was

no frame damage. The raditor got pushed back, but was undamaged. This was about 10 years ago.

The hood and fender was bent back in shape, and I needed to get a new bumper ($75 at the time).

I am not sure what current body part prices are for Toyotas, but last week I priced out new fenders

(primed only) for my 1990 Geo Tracker and it was $25. I ended up buying a used fender in like new

condition and in the color that I needed for $50.

Good luck,

Dennis...

I think Keystone is national I priced 2 fenders and a bumper for my 87 for less then $300 they are after market parts but fit fine. They have every thing you would need to fix yours.

Well I forced the hood open finally, and found the radiator was pushed into the belts, but it is holding water and not damaged. The inner fender well is bent up real bad, and may be beyond my expertise to replace unless I try to bend it back into shape-unlikely. I already know the outer panels will need to be replaced, but it looks to be mechanically sound, just needs cosmetic repairs. I took some photos to see if anyone has any suggestions for the do it yourself-er.

post-1272-1230489708_thumb.jpg

post-1272-1230489800_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

First quote was for $3800 (double what I bought the thing for), I think they are nuts, the stinken truck sold brand new for $7900 (without the RV convertion) or at least the 8100 series pickup did up until they came out with the Tacoma. I am affraid no one here in this city will give me a reasonable quote to repair it. I will try a few more places before I scrap it.

Robert--Unless there is damage that can't be seen or they were going to replace the inner fender at the cab and they had to lift the cab, that price seems high to me.

As I said before I'm not a body man. I repaired my Dodge van a few years ago after I hit a moose The drivers side was pushed into the dash.It crumpled in about 2in and the floor and fire wall buckled.The est. from my buddy wasn't that high And the outside price wouldn't have been that much either.I would keep trying to find someone else to repair it.

Did they give you a detailed repair est.or the good old "it should be about this much".

I would think for that money, they would be going to replace the cab.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is, I tried to save $$ where I could so I had an upstart body shop do the repairs for a little more than half of what the big shop in town wanted and it was what I expected. Not showroom but it looks as good or better than it did before. And I am still a charter member of "Yodahomes R Us" "May the fours (cyl) be with you" or should that be 2.4's ha ha.

post-1272-1233278006_thumb.jpg

Mrs Supur here-

Thank you for all the warm wishes!

It was so sad to see it crumpled, Now to see it all new and refreshed does tikle me pink!!

When it first happened and he wanted to scrap it my heart was so sad, so I thank all of you for encouraging him to get it repaired!!

Keep on Motorin'

Mrs Supur

Oh Wow! Robert and Mrs! Your toy looks beautiful! Perfect!!!! Thanks for keeping us posted.

shanda

looks really good congratulations on the fix. Is the frame bent? It is not that hard to take off the front Clip from another toyota. I did it with my 85 4x4 when I dovenosed it. A front clip is not that hard to find just need a little mig welder. I just dont know the rust situation on toyotas in your part of the country. Looks good