Generator

Supurcar

I have read a few posts about people using generators to run the RVs. Even attaching them to the rear bumper, my question is what is the minimum rating for a generator to be able to plug the landline in and have the thing run the furnace,lights, maybe some accesories (TV,radio etc.) or is it even possible?. It would be nice to be able to avoid the RV parks all together on occasion and save that fee, especially on trips where there is not a nice facility or RV park, I would rather boondock.

For the Furnace, lights, TV you could get by with a 1,000 watt generator. However, if you use an electric heater or AC then at least 2,000 watts AND if you have a large 13,500 BTU AC then you need even more. Remember that with a minimum generator you may not be able to operate an AC and microwave at the same time. My generator is 1850 watts and it operates the small AC and more with ease but not both the AC and microwave at the same time.

John H

SW Ohio

'86 21' Sunrader

22RE, auto

You didn't say what you needed to run with a generator. The coach battery was designed to operate the furnace, lights, fridge etc. A 19" LCD TV uses about 60 watts. That's 5 amps at 12 volts.

The only justification for a generator is to run an air conditioner. I use an evaporative unit for dry climates so I wouldn't have to hear a generator running. Using a generator for electrical heat is wasteful. Propane is cheaper.

The other option is to get a bigger or add another coach battery. Most stock coach batteries are size 27. The size 29 is only a 1/4 inch bigger and is much more powerful. Wally World has them for about $65.

For around $130 on sale you can purchase a 1,500 to 2,000 watt DC to AC inverter to operate a microwave. I run an 800 watt microwave with a 1,000 watt inverter and one size 29 coach batter no problem without running the vehicle engine.

I had an MH with generator and hated the noise and maintenance. By the way there are some fuel cells that run on propane for RV's. There are more coming not far off. Most will run on propane.

• 2 weeks later...
You didn't say what you needed to run with a generator. The coach battery was designed to operate the furnace, lights, fridge etc. A 19" LCD TV uses about 60 watts. That's 5 amps at 12 volts.

The only justification for a generator is to run an air conditioner. I use an evaporative unit for dry climates so I wouldn't have to hear a generator running. Using a generator for electrical heat is wasteful. Propane is cheaper.

The other option is to get a bigger or add another coach battery. Most stock coach batteries are size 27. The size 29 is only a 1/4 inch bigger and is much more powerful. Wally World has them for about $65.

For around $130 on sale you can purchase a 1,500 to 2,000 watt DC to AC inverter to operate a microwave. I run an 800 watt microwave with a 1,000 watt inverter and one size 29 coach batter no problem without running the vehicle engine.

I had an MH with generator and hated the noise and maintenance. By the way there are some fuel cells that run on propane for RV's. There are more coming not far off. Most will run on propane.

You have a good point, but in mine (with a new coach battery even) the coach battery does not last all night or all day. We use the coach battery all the time especially with the lights on I will watch the meter drop to one bar in a hurry. We also have a projector (torpedo) and DVD player we use which will not run on the coach battery. So I wanted a small generator to run plug in items on over night stays. The furnace is propane, but the fan still uses up the coach battery as well. Up here in the NW the heater is going and going (5-20 degrees outside) and usually have the dogs, so we can not shut it off while we are away. So we wanted to have a gen. for safety as well, I would hate to have the coach battery die in the middle of a cold night and wake up frozen, ha ha. Maybe I should run a test to see how long the coach battery lasts with everything running just so I know, it does seem to charge while we are driving and when plugged into to a land line too.

A bigger battery (s) is a good plan. Also cutting down the drain works too. Install florescent lights or even LED to reduce major drains. Change to an LCD TV instead of the projector

The stock converter will take 2 DAYS to recharge a depleted battery. Driving the engine will take 2-4 hr.

Remember courtesy says the gen goes off around 9 PM.

I see your point about the heater I just came back from QC Canada and I stayed in my friends 5th wheel camper and the heat came on every 15 minutes and at the time it was only in the low 20s and that was just to keep it at 60 (it was plugged in). I'm guessing you would need some pretty good batteries. I'll guess 8 amps for the heater fan so 120 amp battery 15 hours run time tops?

Well we may have to get more than a generator now, my wife had a fender bender this evening. I am not sure how bad it is yet, she is okay but the left front fender,bumper,hood are all cracked up. This was a very low speed impact but it was enough to crumple the front up pretty good. We may invest in fixing it, or may end up selling it. I will post some pictures later to get some opinions on repair costs.