Fuel Filler neck - orientation of smaller vent or overflow?

I'm adding back fender flares on the 87 Sunrader 4x4, and the mount for the neck is within the fender on the passenger side. I was wondering about the orientation of the smaller tube and if it was a vent/breather or overflow catch. There are 3 holes in the fender that line with the filler neck when the vent tube is UP, as opposed to down.

(Linda confirmed it should go UP, as it's an air breather to allow fuel in with no restriction of air pressure.)

Edited by wadingthroughlife
re-add

Tank air vent must go on top. You must not let gas get in it. I don't have those clamps attaching my air hoe to the fuel hose. It's separate everywhere I can see. See if you can get into proper position just removing the clamps. If not replace a section of small hose to make it long enough. Not a good pic but taken from underneath you can see small hose is above

Linda S 

20220815_112525.jpg

• wadingthroughlife changed the title to Fuel Filler neck - orientation of smaller vent or overflow?