3 terminal switch for charging

bear

Does anyone know anything about this switch? I downloaded the Dolphin manual from gallery and it talks about one, it kinda looks like a Ford starter solenoid. It's suppose to charge both batteries while driving or plugged in. I have something that looks like it on my Itasca Spirit but my aux battery is dead and won't charge either way.

It is the switch you speak of. When your ignition key is on it connects your coach battery in parallel with your starting battery and can then receive a charge. They are notorious for failing, having high resistance through the contacts etc. To test you need a volt meter and when the engine is running check that there is more than 12 volts (something like 13.8 or higher) on all three terminals. The small one is your ignition switch and the two large ones, one is the coach battery side and the other is the truck battery side.

I personally would suggest installing a modern electronic battery isolator. They are $50 or less and are smart in that they can direct the charge current to the battery that needs it. One of the problems with the type you have is if one battery needs a charge both get it and the one that does not need the charge gets over charged and shortens its life.

It is the switch you speak of. When your ignition key is on it connects your coach battery in parallel with your starting battery and can then receive a charge. They are notorious for failing, having high resistance through the contacts etc. To test you need a volt meter and when the engine is running check that there is more than 12 volts (something like 13.8 or higher) on all three terminals. The small one is your ignition switch and the two large ones, one is the coach battery side and the other is the truck battery side.

I personally would suggest installing a modern electronic battery isolator. They are $50 or less and are smart in that they can direct the charge current to the battery that needs it. One of the problems with the type you have is if one battery needs a charge both get it and the one that does not need the charge gets over charged and shortens its life.

Thanks, I will test it. I just bought a sure power 4 terminal off ebay, should get it next week, figured it would be the best way to go anyway, but wanted to know if I even had anything.

Thanks, I will test it. I just bought a sure power 4 terminal off ebay, should get it next week, figured it would be the best way to go anyway, but wanted to know if I even had anything.

I just tested it, small wire and main battery good, aux battery side only 0.05. I will try and clean contacts tomorrow and see if that helps, bit cold now. Finally found something on these manual ones earlier today, it said to mount it facing down, mine is up don't know if that would make any difference. Planned on using the Sure Power anyway. Don't know what shape the aux battery is in guess I better plan on pulling it out also to check.

I just tested it, small wire and main battery good, aux battery side only 0.05. I will try and clean contacts tomorrow and see if that helps, bit cold now. Finally found something on these manual ones earlier today, it said to mount it facing down, mine is up don't know if that would make any difference. Planned on using the Sure Power anyway. Don't know what shape the aux battery is in guess I better plan on pulling it out also to check.

Bear, I think you will find that the contacts are cadmium coated. Once it wears through the contacts start to pit and arc. Even if you clean or file them they will start arcing right away. So you might just as well replace. Also this is why you never want to file contacts if you are looking for problem because if you cut through the cadmium layer, wont last long even if it was not the problem to begin with. Only use alcohol an a q-tip. Stan

Bear, I think you will find that the contacts are cadmium coated. Once it wears through the contacts start to pit and arc. Even if you clean or file them they will start arcing right away. So you might just as well replace. Also this is why you never want to file contacts if you are looking for problem because if you cut through the cadmium layer, wont last long even if it was not the problem to begin with. Only use alcohol an a q-tip. Stan

Stan, are you talking about inside or outside? I was only going clean up the outside where the nuts and contact wire are, alot of rust there. I did not plan on opening it up without knowing what I'm doing. Thanks

Hey Bear that's not a Ford starter switch is it? If it is do not use it it will smoke in about a half an hour. They are not intended to be used more then a few minutes at a time. The one you need is continues duty most parts stores have them. What is the 4th terminal for? Kind of sounds like a starter solenoid to me

Hey Bear that's not a Ford starter switch is it? If it is do not use it it will smoke in about a half an hour. They are not intended to be used more then a few minutes at a time. The one you need is continues duty most parts stores have them. What is the 4th terminal for? Kind of sounds like a starter solenoid to me

Nope defiantly not Ford switch. This sure power is continues duty, 9523A. Not really sure but it's a group 2, which I need for my year, something about the type of alternator.

Yep 4th wire goes to exciter wire on alternator

Yep 4th wire goes to exciter wire on alternator

Oh good they tried a Ford relay once in my home town with one of the fire dept. trucks and had to go to their own fire! Hey wre the exciter wire closes the relay when it starts to charge? The only ones I have seen just switch on with a 12 volt feed.

In one of the earlier posts bear said he was going solid state.

Does anyone know anything about this switch? I downloaded the Dolphin manual from gallery and it talks about one, it kinda looks like a Ford starter solenoid. It's suppose to charge both batteries while driving or plugged in. I have something that looks like it on my Itasca Spirit but my aux battery is dead and won't charge either way.

I had that problem with my Encore It looks like a starter solenoid but is not the same Its called a contionus duty solenoid and conects the hous battery and Truck battery when you turn on the ingition so the house battery is being charged while the engine is running . when you kill the engine surn off the ignition it is then isolated from the truck battery so you can run lights ect. on the house battery wint out killing the truck battery . To charge it when you are parked some motor homes have a bulit in charging system when you plug it into 110 . At least that is the way mine works. Gary

Bear ... I was talking about inside ... Stan

Bear ... I was talking about inside ... Stan

Kinda figured that. Pulled and cleaned it yesterday, no help. Checked coach battery, shot. Only a 95 hour anyway. Thanks