1991 toyota pickup

fisherman120

Ok guys i have a big delema. A few years ago i sold a 1991 single cab short bed yota pickup to a co-worker of mine for $900. Ya i know im an idiot. But at the time i thought it needed a new engine when it turns out alls it needed was a new head. Keeping in mind i sold it for a girl. Needed the cash lol . But anyway now he wants to sell it back to me and he has put a new head on the engine and put a new tranny in it but the tranny put in it was a little bit bigger than the old one. I have no idea why and he had to cut a little chunk out of the floor and the bed is a little rusted inside now . This truck used to belong to my father who has sence passed away so the truck now has sentimental value and i think it would be the perfect base to convert my chinook into 4x4. So my question is do you think the vehicle is worth the money, because now he wants to sell it back to me for $2,800, and he said that if i dont buy it by tue. he is going to sell it to someone else, and it has about 145,000 miles on it, and it is 4x4. Any input would be helpful right now i am pulling my hair out. :headbonk: Also i think it needs a little aditional work to get it running really well.

Some co-worker.. IF YOU DON'T BUY IT BY X date YOU LOSE? And you're the guy that gave him the sweet deal in the first place? Screw that.. I would just pass on it now.

Also.. I too have a 91 4x4 shortbed that I considered swapping with my old 1980 camper. The problem is that the distance from the axles to the back of the cab isn't long enough for this conversion. I don't know about chinooks, but from the pictures I see and what I've read they too require the long-bed frame. i.e about 46" from the back of the cab to the centerline of axles. Not that you can't modify your frame to fit, but that's a lot more work too. something to consider.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

ya maybe you guys are right, besides im actually in the process of tracing down my dads old 84 yota pickup solid floating axle long bed that i think would probably be a cheaper buy and a better base for the swap that i wont to do. If i can find it and if who ever has it is willing to sell it to me. But it would be a little more work because the last time i saw it, it needed a new engine. But any solid axle yota has big potential. I even know who has it but dont know his name or where he lives i just have his brothers home phone number and he does not have an answering machine, and he never answers. Hopefully i will get ahold of him though.

You kind of lost me, do you want to put your body on another truck or put the parts under what you have? Either way I hope you have a lot of free time. Also what kind of transmission did he put in? To my knowledge there is no “larger” Toyota transmission even in a T 100 that will bolt to the 22R/22RE another consideration will be the differential ratio they have to match exactly front and rear.

Had another thought the solid axle used leaf springs and the 91 has independent “A” arms with the front diff. bolted to the frame I’m thinking yours is old enough to have used the solid axle on the 4X4 then there is the matter of spring hangers.

You kind of lost me, do you want to put your body on another truck or put the parts under what you have? Either way I hope you have a lot of free time. Also what kind of transmission did he put in? To my knowledge there is no "larger" Toyota transmission even in a T 100 that will bolt to the 22R/22RE another consideration will be the differential ratio they have to match exactly front and rear.

Ya im not really sure eather, he told me that the gear ratios were farther apart in the new tranny or something like that that made it wider or something, doesnt make sence to me eather. The plane is to swap my 78 chinook camper body over on to a 4x4 frame. I dont think the swap would be all that hard on the long box, the short box will probably require lots of modification, im going to go over there and measure the distance from the cab to the center of the axle on sun, and he was saying that we may be able to work something out. But that something better be pretty sweet i think.

OK now I understand. The later one would be the one I would use rides better less problems with the front end and you can buy beefer torsion bars for the extra weight. Too bad it is not an extra cab they are longer. I would really try to find out what the deal is with the transmission. Try your wheel base on both it maybe the same with some added frame behind the axle. Nothing is imposable but I'm glad it's your project!

Maineah. Just saw your reply above. How very true. People would bring furniture in feed bags or tied in a bundle with string and a lot of times half of it was missing. The first thing was always,"can you fix it". I hadn"t even looked at it but the answer was always a cheery"sure I can repair anything. How much money did you bring." After restoring antiques for 40 years I learned what you already know. Anything is possible with enough time and MONEY. If the answer is, my time isn"t worth anything I have few things I need help with. Fisherman 120 is the gain really worth all the pain? Steve

Fisherman 120 is the gain really worth all the pain?
Heck Ya! Check out his avatar. He's young and likes the outdoors/fishing etc. This would be a great project for him. And it's gonna be a great 4x4 chinook. The fish are gonna like him better in a 4x4 too! YA BABY! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

.. I'd go the longbed route over the shortbed too. I'm sure the rear leafspring mounts could be moved further back on the shortbed frame, but then you have to get another driveshaft + move all the other stuff too.. like parking brakes, longer brakelines, shock mounts, etc. etc.

Good luck with your project. and be sure to take lots of pics please.

Bajadulce. You are right. He is young and the the fish should know the terror of a good fisherman/woman with a 4x4. Really every thing I gained in life that was worth anything had a certain amount of pain tied to it. Just forgot due to the passage of time how much fun it was. Fisherman 120. I was indeed wrong. Tear it up lad,and send us the photos so we can all marvel at the fine job. Gods speed and may the wind always be at your back

Steve