removing axle shaft?

mission mike

On our 89 winnie, the gasket tends to drip grease on hot days on the passenger side of the rear 6 bolt axle, I would like to replace the gasket, I've jacked the rear end up and removed the six nuts and washers holding the shaft in place, I've screwed two bolts into the threaded holes to try and get some leaverage on the axel shaft end plate, also tapped on this with my hammer, but nothing wants to move, I've soaked the cone washers with WD 40, and still nothing moves, does anyone have an idea what I could try next????

thanks Mike

Howdy Mike...

Ahh yes, cone washers. Aren't they fun? I use a cold chisel with just one face on the chisel ground down to about a 45 degree angle. Notice I said ONE side. Most chisels have two faces so that the cross section of the chisel lookes like a house roof. We want a single slope of the chisel. Put the chisel on the side of the cone washer with the flat side of the chisel against the axle face. Gently tap the chisel with a hammer. This will spring the cone washer and pop it out of the hole. I have also read that putting a small diameter deep socket over the stud and tapping the socket with a hammer lightly, willl pop the cone washer loose. I use RTV gasket maker instead of the paper gasket.

Hope this helps

John

Hi John Thanks for the reply, I've tried the chisel method you suggested, and so far no luck, with the deep socket, should it fit on top of the cone washer or around it? do you think heat would help? It looks like somebody has tried to remove the cone washers before, one of them is quite chewed up.

thanks again Mike

I don’t believe I would heat it, gear oil stinks when it burns. What you might try is a punch on the out side of the axle lined up with the stud, the washers are tapered and usually that is enough to jar them loose. As shoprat said a chisel works too if you can find an edge sticking up, the split in the cone is top to bottom so it will give.

Hello,

I have had some pretty good luck with using a Socket, about a 17mm.

I center the socket around the outside area of the cone washers and

give the socket a medium tap. Usually it just takes 1 to 3 taps to get

the cone washers to fall out (they actually fall out), but I usually get

one set that requires special attention (like a dozen taps).

Dennis...

Hi John, Mainhead and Dennis

Thanks all for your advise, yes there is plenty of lip sticking out on the cone washers to try the chisel method, but still I cant get them to come loose, same with the deep socket around the cone, nothing is moving, I've left them soaking in WD 40 for the night, and will try again tomorrow.

Mike

Put the nuts back on untill they are flush with the end of the threads. Get a big punch and a bigger hammer. Give the hub a sharp wack on each side of each cone.

NOTE if you do this with out the nuts on the stud you will NEVER find the cones when they pop lose.

Hi Fellows I took a look at the back axel this morning after letting it sit all night soaking in pen oil, one of the cone washers had come loose, but the other five took a lot of work using a combination of chise, drift pin, deep socket and a big hammer, on pulling the axel I see there was not much left of the paper gasket, looking in at the bearing lock nut I don't see any grease just oil, is this right? so I guess it was oil dripping past the gasket on to the rim that I could see. (the original problem)

Thanks all for your help and advise, now should I use the RTV gasket maker grease up the bearing and put it back together?

Mike

If you have oil out to the end, you need to pull the bearings and repack them. Most likely you will need a new seal too.

Sounds like you need to replace the seals, I believe there are two seals.

I was able to pick up new seals at Advanced Auto Parts, you can order them

online and pick them up at the store you choose, or have them mailed to you.

They only cost about $3 or $4 each. Also, you can get them at a Toyota dealer

if one is available to you.

Dennis...