Converting 5 lug front end to 6 lug?

Tundrawolf

Hello,

I have a 6 lug axle to replace my 5 lug unit, however I do not want to carry 2 spares around..

Is replacing the front end with a 6 lug pattern as easy as swapping disc brake rotors, or is there something special I have to do?

It is easier.

You just order some 5 to 6 lug adapters from these folks.

http://www.customcommercialwheel.com/

Then get 3 6 lug rims (2 for the fronts and 1 for the spare).

You may want to get some 24mm torsion bars to beef the front suspension up to 1 ton also. 24mm bars can be purchased from Downey Off Road.

• 1 month later...

The dimesions of the front spindel on the 84-93 2WD truck are the same, so you can swap out the rotor, brake calipre and 6 bolt hub from a one ton onto your 1/2 ton front end. Make sure and get the backing/dust plate as well, as it is made to clear the much larger one ton brake calipres.

It is a fairly straight forward bolt-on conversion which I have done to my 86 Nova Star and my 84 Mirage. Why mess with adapters (which might cost more than the entire used one ton assemblies) when this gives you much larger front brakes? I paid $150 for the front assemblies from a local wrecking yard and all the parts were servicable.

• 7 months later...
The dimesions of the front spindel on the 84-93 2WD truck are the same, so you can swap out the rotor, brake calipre and 6 bolt hub from a one ton onto your 1/2 ton front end. Make sure and get the backing/dust plate as well, as it is made to clear the much larger one ton brake calipres.

It is a fairly straight forward bolt-on conversion which I have done to my 86 Nova Star and my 84 Mirage. Why mess with adapters (which might cost more than the entire used one ton assemblies) when this gives you much larger front brakes? I paid $150 for the front assemblies from a local wrecking yard and all the parts were servicable.

What about the wheels from the 1 ton will the six bolt spare that I have work with the front axle since the duals on the back seem to be a deep dish wheel.

What about the wheels from the 1 ton will the six bolt spare that I have work with the front axle since the duals on the back seem to be a deep dish wheel.

Yes the 1 ton wheels are designed to work on all 6 locations. The front adapters, whether factory or aftermarket are designed to set the wheel directly over the front wheel bearing.

post-794-1247915416_thumb.jpg

I agree the bigger brakes are an asset if you can find them.

By far the strongest way to do it is to replace the 5 bolt hub with a 6 bolt hub.

As said earlier, brakes come in two varieties. You'll need the rotor disc with 6 holes. A junked set of hubs will likely need new rotors as they don't weather well.

post-2143-1247945000_thumb.jpg

Why not get just one adapter to be used only when you have a flat and need to use your 6 bolt spare. Brakes do not seem to be a issue however I do not travel in the mountains much.

Yes the 1 ton wheels are designed to work on all 6 locations. The front adapters, whether factory or aftermarket are designed to set the wheel directly over the front wheel bearing.

I purchase a single adapter today. The guy I spoke to said that the original idea when they started the recall on the axle, was to use a single adpter with the six bolt spare when they converted from the 1/2 ton rear ends to the 1 ton.

I purchase a single adapter today. The guy I spoke to said that the original idea when they started the recall on the axle, was to use a single adapter with the six bolt spare when they converted from the 1/2 ton rear ends to the 1 ton.

I got my 5 to 6 lug front factory Toyota adapters from a salvage yard 1986 1 ton along with the rear end, 9 leaf rear springs and seven 6 lug rims back in 1996. All 1 ton Toyota trucks made between 1985 and 1988 came with 2 font adapters and seven 6 lug rims. The early 1 tons (1985 and the first few months of 1986) came with left hand studs on the rear axle driver's side like came on over the road tractors. The front adapters on these early 1 ton trucks had a large R stamped into the studs on the front driver's side 5 to 6 lug adapter to show that they were standard right hand thread studs and NOT left hand like on the rear axle.

post-794-1248315803_thumb.jpg

I got my 5 to 6 lug front factory Toyota adapters from a salvage yard 1986 1 ton along with the rear end, 9 leaf rear springs and seven 6 lug rims back in 1996. All 1 ton Toyota trucks made between 1985 and 1988 came with 2 font adapters and seven 6 lug rims. The early 1 tons (1985 and the first few months of 1986) came with left hand studs on the rear axle driver's side like came on over the road tractors. The front adapters on these early 1 ton trucks had a large R stamped into the studs on the front driver's side 5 to 6 lug adapter to show that they were standard right hand thread studs and NOT left hand like on the rear axle.

Thanks for the information. I was unable to find a 1 ton Toy in my area. I considered changing the hubs but went with the single adapter to be used with the spare instead. I still have lots to learn about RV. Tony in LA

Thanks for the information. I was unable to find a 1 ton Toy in my area. I considered changing the hubs but went with the single adapter to be used with the spare instead. I still have lots to learn about RV. Tony in LA

You might consider getting a second front adapter and using 7 proper 1 ton rims all the way around. The adapters are aluminum (originals and aftermarket ones) and should be permanently put on instead of going on and off with the spare. This will not only make life easier for you but add more value to your coach if all the rims match should you decide to sell it.

The factory 1 ton rims are built a LOT stronger than the 1/2 ton pickup rims.

I have a spare aftermarket 5 to 6 adapter sitting around here somewhere (don't ask... I have not seen it in a LONG time). I purchased it "just in case" one of the factory originals started giving me grief (they never have) as the original Toyota 5 to 6 adapters have not been available from Toyota in over 15 years