SPRINGS AND GETTING THE WHEEL BEARINGS PRESSED

sayce08

hey Im getting ready for a big cross country trip in the fall, Im looking into getting some new shocks and does anyone suggest getting the wheel bearings pressed or new ones installed, how much would these cost, doing it yourself or have a mechanic do it??

erik

I guess you mean packed? When I do the front breaks I repack the bearings also, so I guess it's safe to say 30K would be a good figure. It involves removing the caliper and brake rotor so if you are not comfortable with that maybe a shop is in order. If you don't know when or if ever do it. The rears are oiled by the gear oil in the rear (6 lug) and don't need to be packed.

NO...NO....NO on the Six bolt both the rear bearings on EACH side are packed, NOT splashed lubed

NO...NO....NO on the Six bolt both the rear bearings on EACH side are packed, NOT splashed lubed

This could spark a good debate if that is the case it is the only full floating rear made that is.

Toyota uses an extra seal that others do not it is not to keep the oil from lubing the bearings it's to keep the oil from coming past the axle. New or clean bearings need to be packed to keep them alive until the oil can reach them.

No debate, a monkey Mech twisted off one of my left handed studs on the drivers side. I had to pull the axle and hub to replace it. I repacked the bearings while I was doing this. Next Day I did the other side for "just because"

When I pulled my axles last year to check out the brake shoes, one of my bearing

did not have any rear end fluid, only backing grease. When I pulled the other, the

packing grease was washed away, due to rear end fluid getting it. I replaced the

oil seals on this one.

It the outter oil seal is NOT to keep the rear end fluid away from the bearings, than

what is it designed for? I have a friend that works on Chevy and Ford duellies and

they do not have the outter seal that Toyota has.

Also, if the rear end fluid is to lube the bearings, then why do we only have a paper

gasket on the axle?

Dennis...

I dont understand what u mean by the 30k thing.... If your suggesting that 30,000 is what it would cost im seriously lost.... haha are you referring to miles or that the job would cost around 300??

And has this discussion been concluded... does it have bearings that have to be packed on the rear wheels???

On going about the rears. Yes 30,000 miles on the fronts or brake job what ever comes first.

In my Toyota Shop Manual, it shows an inner seal, inner bearing, outer bearing and axle.

The 1/2 ton has an outer seal. The paper gasket is to keep the bearing grease from leaking past the axle cap.

The SIX bolt axle REQUIRES HAND packing of all 4 bearings

When I pulled my axles last year to check out the brake shoes, one of my bearing

did not have any rear end fluid, only backing grease. When I pulled the other, the

packing grease was washed away, due to rear end fluid getting it. I replaced the

oil seals on this one.

It the outter oil seal is NOT to keep the rear end fluid away from the bearings, than

what is it designed for? I have a friend that works on Chevy and Ford duellies and

they do not have the outter seal that Toyota has.

Also, if the rear end fluid is to lube the bearings, then why do we only have a paper

gasket on the axle?

Dennis...

That is correct Toyota is the only one I have ever seen with the extra seal. If they are not lubed by the rear how did the oil get in there? Why would Toyota build a rear that had to be serviced when every one else does not? The grease most likely kept the oil from saturating the bearing the one that had the oil in it was doing it's job. The paper gasket is to keep the oil from getting past the axle and running all over your wheels thats where Toyota puts the extra seal. The only way gear oil could be kept out of the bearings would be to have a seal on the axle where it meets the axle tube. There is a huge amount of stress on rear truck bearings grease has no real viscosity where the 90 weight does it can keep the bearings lubed for hundreds of thousands of miles. Ford,Chevy, Mopar and every big truck lubes their bearings with gear oil.

In my Toyota Shop Manual, it shows an inner seal, inner bearing, outer bearing and axle.

The 1/2 ton has an outer seal. The paper gasket is to keep the bearing grease from leaking past the axle cap.

The SIX bolt axle REQUIRES HAND packing of all 4 bearings

The inner seal keeps the gear oil from getting past the hub and running all over your breaks. The paper gasket keeps it from running all over your wheels. Yes it does require packing when they are new or been cleaned and are dry. I guess my point is for you don't disturb them they will roll for a very long time. If you are concerned about your break lining there is a small plug in the backing plate at the outter edge of the drum that will allow you to see the lining.

Regarding my comment on the paper gasket, the point I was trying to make is it seams to be

a little on the weak side to use a paper gasket to hold back rear end fluid, wouldn't Toyota

used a little heavier/beefer gasket material, along with some sealant?

Wouldn't the rear end oil break the paper gasket down over time?

Dennis...

I give up

The ONLY lube the six bolt axle gets is what you packin them. NO oil gets past the seal unless its damaged.

Regarding my comment on the paper gasket, the point I was trying to make is it seams to be

a little on the weak side to use a paper gasket to hold back rear end fluid, wouldn't Toyota

used a little heavier/beefer gasket material, along with some sealant?

Wouldn't the rear end oil break the paper gasket down over time?

Dennis...

This is where the Toyota extra seal comes in, There is no real pressure the rear is vented some of the larger stuff has rubber backed gaskets but they never have been a problem area as far as leaks. Most of the paper type gaskets are oil resistant. I knew when I started this there would be controversy I for one am not going to take the axle out to pack the bearings until it is time for brakes and I expect to get 60K or more out of them. I have had just too many floating rears apart to worry about bearing failure the bearings that are inside of the rear never get packed, gear oil is a great bearing lube.