Any better transmission choices for the 22RE than the A43D?

This is in my 1985 chassis, 1986 Mini Cruiser.    

Thinking about and exploring my options.  I am having to revisit my weak and shuddering reverse issues.  Not 100% sure I have a transmission issue, and am fairly certain I have a combination of other systems needing some adjustment/work too.   I have other threads on that.  So ignore that and let's just explore transmission replacement options.     

If the A43D is the best choice, its a simple swap in/out and I can live with that.  If to make it usable I just need a rear end gear swap, fine that's also doable.  But at the point where I am considering replacing both of those, is there a better/easier transmission to get that bolts up to the 22RE?  Some modification is allowable, like belhousing swaps.  But I want to stay away from needing custom driveshafts and fabricating up new mounts.  

If there is a much better choice that slips right in but needs to be electronically controlled, I might even be okay with doing that.  

It seems the renowned R151 Jeep transmission bolts up, but I don't want a manual.  And that whole subject matter is cloudy if the Jeep automatic would work.     

Looking for at least a little guidance so I know what direction to go hunting in and read up on.   Simplicity will likely win and I will directly replace the A43D with another one and do the rear gear swap.  But if there are better (and maybe cheaper) options I defiantly want to look into them!   

Edited by thewanderlustking

Stick with the stock one they are amazingly tough transmissions. Any thing else will be a serious pain to make work cables, adaptors etc. Just look at the work those poor overloaded transmission have done in 10's of thousands of over weight vehicles. In the fact that one has been apart it kind of leads me to believe whom ever did the overhaul missed some thing. The only problems I remember with them was the governor bore ware caused by a worn output shaft bushing. If only shutters in reverse kinda points to a reverse clutch pack. Drop the pan I think you will find a lot of brown gook. The jeep trans was an AX15 the Toyota version was the R151 no clue if they were interchangeable in that case fly wheel, clutch, bell housing, different pedals, linkage etc. I kind of remember 3rd gear issues with the AX15 all so.

i second @Maineah. the only minor issue i ever had with mind was a bent cross bar that wore a hole in the pan. That transmission drove for so long with low oil and just kept running after the repair. like maineah mentioned, drop the pan, maybe change the filters, the valve body is easy to service. 

I replaced the filter and changed the fluid 3-4 times when I first got it.  It has maybe gone 10-20 miles since. Once I get to drive it to my shop, I will hook it up to the flush machine and run cleaner and another 12qrts or so through it. 

I won’t go too far into messing with or repairing it.  Its one of the few things on the truck to me worth paying someone else to do. I MIGHT be motivated enough to pull it.