Truck Battery connected to RV????

Hello all- I have been around and about this site and there is some great advice!!

Thank you!

And now I want to utilize this wonderful site because I just bought my toyota beater oh I mean motorhome- My lovely and I have been searching for a toyota motorhome for a year now and decided to settle on one we would fix up.... having a little buyers remorse- but the frame and roof is in great shape, as well as the engine-

Okay anyways my question- when we bought the ride the monitor (to check water levels and such) worked great and it kept working great until one day it didn't work at all- so my handyman goes down there to check out the battery and there is no battery! So now we have a beater with a ghost.

Well we get the battery, everything works great its just that the monitor and the fan in the bathroom work whenever they want to- they work when the battery is in and only sometimes when it is totally disconnected....

When I asked my RV parts store guys they of course gave us the old "joint to the mouth" jester- and asked about our THC intake prior to these experiences--- <_<

Baffled in Encinitas-

Peri & Robbie

1988 Toyota Winnabago

You will have coach DC with no battery in the following situations

1. When you are plugged into shore power (AC cord is plugged into an outlet). When the coach is plugged into AC the converter runs and this supplies DC current directly to the distribution bus and from there to everything else (including your monitor panel)
  2. When your Toyota engine is running. With the motor running DC current is passed from the alternator directly back to the DC distribution buss and from there to everything else
  3. If you have a solar panel. Solar panels will supply DC to the distribution buss.
  4. If you have a generator and it is running (same scenario as #1 above)

Yeah... thank you so much for the input moosepucky- BUT, we are not plugged in, the engine is not running, no solar panel yet and we don't have a generator.... and yet monitor and fan turn on....

Any other ideas? ... maybe I wasn't soo off with the ghost theory...

thanks again-

1. Your Isolater is damaged and is shorted. You are running off the engine battery. To check disconect engine battery.

2. You do have a coach battery hiding somewhere.... Start looking every where.

There is a isolator in the engine compartment that allows the alternator to charge both batteries and prevent reverse current flow keeping your house battery from draining your coach battery. I bet the isolator is tired and the contacts are sticking. Duplicate the scenario that causes the fan to work with truck off. You have a input and output on the isolator. 12vdc will be sitting at the input side. Put a meter or 12vdc load light to output side of the isolator, if you have voltage coming out toward the house battery side you found your ghost.

Edited by Smity