Adding winter rv antifreeze in Sunrader

Iflyfish

I need to winterize our 1987 Sunrader.

In the past I have put anti-freeze in fresh water tank, turned off water heater intake valve and then just turn on pump till faucets run pink.

I now considering putting a bypass valve on the water pump with a hose attached to winterize rather than drawing ant-freeze from the fresh water thank.

Has anyone installed a bypass valve on their water pump with a hose attached to run rv anti-freeze thru your system?

What do you do to add anti-freeze to your unit in the winter? 

Thanks

Iflyfishinthedarksometimes 

As the winters are typically mild here in Central Texas to winterize I:

- drain the water lines and freshwater tank using the drain valves and then close the valves

- blow out the water lines with compressed air (at low pressure) with the taps and shower valves all open

- add the pink anti-freeze stuff to each sink and the shower to protect the traps from freezing

This has worked well and I had no problems even after the monster winter storm in March this year. A week of sub-zero temps and 6" of snow is beyond unusual here, and I was worried that  my winterizing might be insufficient. No problems at all fortunately!

Yes I have a by pass on my pump. Drain all the tanks add compressed air to the hose input fitting maybe 40-50 psi (simple gadget old hose with a male fitting a hose clamp and an air fitting on the end) open one tap at a time till it blows the water out repeat. I tend to leave all the drains open just in case don't want to split open the the drain taps. Open the pump by pass suck up a few OZ to protect the pump call it good.

I have had this in place on all my RV's. I use 2 gal of anti freeze to do a 30 ft Class A. My RV sees -30 for several days a year and no problems.

Bypass kit...https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-appliances/rv-water-heaters/water-heater-repair-parts/rv-water-heater-bypass_88-8824

Pump conversion kit...https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/electrical-plumbing-lp-gas/rv-pumps-water-filters-fixtures/winterizing-by-pass-kits/rv-pump-converter_88-8893

You can blow out the lines with a compressor, as per Maineah. You can also use a shop vac in the blow mode to empty the p-traps. Then a half cup of anti-freeze per drain will be enough.

Edited by WME

Thank you for all the great feedback! This is exactly what I needed. 

Iflyfishconmitoyamigos