I am new to this Toyota world and I'm loving it!

I just bought a 1988 Toyota Itasca, 19 feet. It's in pretty decent shape, but I am doing some improvements. It has pointed out that I might want to consider going up in wheel and tire size.

Has anyone done this? Does it make sense? What do I need to consider?

Thanks!

I don't know about the rig you have, but I have a 1976 Chinook which came with 14" tires.  Really not good enough.  I finally was able to put 15" wider tires on the rear.  New rims, of course.  But what a difference!  Wish I could have done it years sooner.   

7 minutes ago, gypsy said:

I don't know about the rig you have, but I have a 1976 Chinook which came with 14" tires.  Really not good enough.  I finally was able to put 15" wider tires on the rear.  New rims, of course.  But what a difference!  Wish I could have done it years sooner.   

I’m guessing your chinook has single rear wheels. If yes, than any 5x4.5 wheel will work as long as the center bore is large enough.

Most of the larger motorhomes have duel rear wheels. As Linda stated these are special size and would have to be made custom.

19 hours ago, linda s said:

The main thing you need to consider is that there is only 1 place to buy larger wheels. Must be custom ordered, only 1 inch larger, 15 inches and cost more than 1000 for 6 of them. 

Linda S

Thanks for the info!

Any idea where I might go to do this, or at least inquire further?

Consider your wheel well dimensions. There is very little surplus area for larger tires. Also consider axle travel as it relates to bump stops. You don’t want your rear tires crashing up through the floor if you bottom out on a pothole etc.

Most manufactures used minimum measurement on wheel wells to gain maximum useable interior space.

3 hours ago, fred heath said:

Consider your wheel well dimensions. There is very little surplus area for larger tires. Also consider axle travel as it relates to bump stops. You don’t want your rear tires crashing up through the floor if you bottom out on a pothole etc.

Most manufactures used minimum measurement on wheel wells to gain maximum useable interior space.

Dang, never thought about all that! Thanks for the insights!

9 hours ago, linda s said:

I would really like to know your reasoning for what will be a huge cost but this is the place.  I'm also betting whomever told you that you need bigger wheels knows nothing about Toyota motorhomes. 

Custom and Commercial Wheel

Linda S

This is very true! They were thinking it might potentially help create more stability. Thanks for the info. Live and learn! Or better yet, ask questions and learn!

Stability can be improved with shocks, front end service and sway bars. Do you have air shocks. Lots of people don't know what they are and run them without air which ruins them. It's never going to feel like a sports car but it can be improved for way less money than new wheels and tires.

Linda S