REEFER MADNESS

Have a Norcold reefer in a 1988 Itasca that seemed to have worked when the RV was purchased a month ago. On gas it works but the freezer only gets to 10 degrees and the reefer to 40 degrees f. Both not quite cold enough as per the "cooling zone" on a reefer thermometer. When I switch to AC., it does not work at all. It was run for a while in an un-level condition and I heard about tipping it over on its left side to remix the ammonia and water to rectify the problem. I don't think that's it because of the difference between the two power sources. Any other suggestions? Also, I'm only getting 8" of water column on the gauge and the book calls for 11". My propane tank is close to empty so I am going to fill it to see if that makes a difference. A new regulator was just installed too, but maybe they are available in different pressures? Any input there? Thanks again. :waaa: gj

In the fact it does that well I think your fridge is fine. There are 3 types of heating 12 volt, 120 volt and gas. There are different elements for each so if the 120 volt side is not working make sure it is plugged in and it has power (there is a plug in behind the unit) if it does it’s probably the element. When it’s hot out side the refrigerator may not get any colder then that and when it’s cool out it may freeze your milk. There are after market small fans that cool the condenser that will help the temperature a good bit inside the fridge. I use two small computer 12 volt fans on mine to cool the condenser works pretty good. Oh yeah the condenser looks like a small base board heater and it is at the highest point on your fridge.

Before you do anything, check your model # against their recall list.

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOMERSUPPO...64/Default.aspx

• 5 years later...

a full tank of propane should help. I would run it a fews days on level ground before I got too excited. It is important to operate these frigs level.

as for the electric, I am guessing you mean the 110v ac variety. For testing first see if you are plugged in - most have a 110 outlet in the frig compartment (back) and yes sometimes the frig is not plugged in, Then when you find the heating element (right about the propane burner), when 'ON" it should get quite warm.

Also check the burner flue - usually a small plate covering it up - one screw. If it is sooted up wipe it with your finger. Can make a difference in propane mode.

Also the ambient temperature will affect the fridge - and make sure the chimney is free so heat can escape.