replacing overcab window

hi all,

i posted a similar topic with the same problem in general dis and posted pics of the stress cracks in window that is the reason for needing to be replaced,

is an rv with a replaced window going to be a problem i didnt buy the rig as im doin thresearch first, i hear it is tempered glass and can be 400 dollars custom cut, i cant find a single topic on replacing this or any window on a toyhome, replacing lots of leak issues due to seals but i need to replace window or walk away and find a rig with a less important issue

From the pics you posted it looks like the unit has been "bumped" hard. Things may have shifted in which case you will be fighting leaks and problems for the entire time you own it. Once the coach body has been twisted it can leak just about everywhere. If you still want to consider it, take it to someone who can do a through inspection and listen to what they say.

I had to replace the front top window on my Dolphin. It was a PAIN to figure out what to do. I did internet research and got some crazy ($500 +) prices. I looked into having a tempered glass cut, but it was also expensive ($200 +) and would take a week to get it. I had a place here cut and install a window made of Lexan for $75. Of course they did a crappy job of installing it and I had to take it out and reseal it with black silicone.

Hope this helps.

when we bought our 89 Winnie one of the front cabover windows was cracked and leaking, I pulled the frame and window and took it to our local auto glass repair shop, he replaced the laminated glass and installed new glass in the frame for about $130.00 I then reinstalled it in the cab using butyl tape and silicone, the opposite side window was also leaking at the rubber gasket, the guy in the shop sold me a tube of Betaseal U-418 made by Dow, I used this to reseal the gasket, the Betaseal is black, and does not show against the black rubber gasket, and I have had no problems with water leaks since. I hope this is of some help.

Mike

thanks for your experiences and fixes, Moosepucky did you see the repaired part on the roof on the top right, i dont know what did that damage but maybe s heavy tree branch hanging down, i was thinking that a poss reason for the cracks in the window, they are very slight but am taking your advice seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

I was though Elkhart, Indiana earlier this year (the epa-center of RV construction in America) There are several businesses there that specialize in all kinds of RV parts - I was in one that was probably had every conceivable window ever made.

I had to reseal my front window (itasca spirit - same as winnie warrior) - used butyl seal from RV store. That stopped most of the leak - I think the window is actually leaking between the glass & the metal frame.