I'm buying a 87 dolphin!! Am I getting a good deal

Ad45

All depends on the condition. What have you checked out on it. Are there absolutely no leaks. Are the tires relatively new. Has the engine been serviced regularly and oil and transmission fluid look clean. Did they use overdrive all the time, can seriously wear the automatics in these. Have you made sure all appliances work properly. If any of these things need work it can add thousands to your total cost. If everything is perfect I would call it an OK deal.

Linda S

Fridge get cold? New one of those costs a grand. 

I  can't really tell from pictures, and I'm not a mechanic, but the back end looks like it's hanging low. How's the suspension? 

Just to give you an idea as to what you might be in for, I recently bought a similar rig for $5,800. Now, mine's a manual transmission with no cab air conditioning, but it only has 72,000 miles. I'm budgeting $4,000 for basic road-worthy items that I think are necessary for safety (e.g., suspension, breaks, tires, etc.). 

Everything works in just minor cosmetics need attending to. All service recrord up to date was owned for 10 years by a veteran. Him and his wife are so nice. 66k miles automatic drives like its new. Barley used over drive. No leaks anywhere. Original motor. Going to give it a modern look and update all appliances. A/c blows cold. Drives really good surprisng. The wife gave me there word they won't give it away I gave 500 down for them to hold. I've seen some of these sell right around what I got it for with more miles and it needs alot. I got lucky with this one!! Its a gem

No generator, needs minor cosmetics,update the look. I don't know I think I got a fair deal. I think some people would pay 11/12 just for this without me even touching it 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️... they going up in value thats what I've been noticing for the well taken care of

18 minutes ago, Ad45 said:

And automatics are worth more surprising. Manuals I could find all day for around 5-7. 

Not many people drive manuals anymore. I'm a newbie at this as well, but it sounds like you did fine, especially if it was owned by someone who kept up with maintenance and has the records to prove it. 

I wouldn't rule out the manual transmission models if they are cheaper.  The model you are looking at appears nice. However, the story here is the same.  Low miles on a machine as old as these isn't necessarily a good thing. Plan for many aspects of the camper in need of service and consider that before purchasing. Are you mechanically inclined? If so the costs don't get too bad. If you will have to hire for every service the costs will add up quick. You are starting at a quite high price. Maintenance records are a plus. Just consider that every part that is original on your machine is 30+ years old.