Trying to not give up....

AprilOstara

What color smoke??? White, black, gray???

You need a fuel system guy. You could have a bad fuel pump, bad/plugged filter, bad carb. The Asian or Hitachi carb is a MAJOR PIA to work on for the average shade tree mech

There rebuild kits available if you know somebody with skills, other wise its going to be $300+ for the local shop to install a professional rebuilt carb. IF that's your problem.

Look at the oil. Is it pretty clear or is it creamy like coffee with milk. If it's milky might mean a head gasket. You really need a mechanic. Suck it up and call the ex's family. Aren't your kids their family too? After all your doing this for the kids so they can have wonderful adventures. They should want to help. 

Linda S

10 hours ago, linda s said:

Look at the oil. Is it pretty clear or is it creamy like coffee with milk. If it's milky might mean a head gasket. You really need a mechanic. Suck it up and call the ex's family. Aren't your kids their family too? After all your doing this for the kids so they can have wonderful adventures. They should want to help. 

Linda S

I hear you Linda, its a little trickier then that though.  They live pretty far and the uncle is in the process of building a house, and has two kids under 4.  The grandpa who is a mechanic is just getting older, works two jobs still and is equally as far.  I put an add up on a local site and got a number for a fellow who knows older engines.  I hope its nothing too big a deal, as im running out of steam, and money. lol.