Hey everyone! I recently bought a 91' 3.0 V6 and I noticed that it doesn't do great going up hills. Its a bit of a fixer upper and I have to replace the exhaust and give it a tune up, check all the lines etc. I also plan on re plumbing, re wiring, adding solar, and completely renovating the interior. Im in Pennsylvania and I'd like to take it out west. The mountains are a lot bigger out there and i'm thinking if its not liking these little PA hills, it really won't like the mountains! Has anyone added a turbo to theirs, and if so what did you use and what were your results? is it even possible?

A v6 should have no problem on the hills. Yes I'd give that engine a good going over. If not a do it yourself er get it to a good mechanic.

If it were a 4 cylinder I'd say live with it but your v6 should roar up them hills in PA.

Edited by Gary_M

You probably need the valves adjusted. Supposed to be done every 60,000 miles and if not done can burn valves. Not cheap to have done but absolutely needed. Plenty of us live out west and do mountains with the 4 cylinder. Slow but it makes it fine. Your V6 if in good shape should be fine. You have an ECT button that lets you rev to a high RPMs before the trannie shifts. Gives you a little extra power going uphill

Linda S

Thanks for the advice and info guys! I probably should have mentioned that it's misfiring. I figured it would get some power back after that issue was corrected, but I wasn't sure how much. Honestly, I don't know a lot about motors. I can build a house from the ground up, but when it comes to vehicles I only know the basics. I'd like eventually know this engine inside and out so I can keep it running smoothly for years to come. I took a friend with me whose a mechanic when I first went to look at it  a couple days ago and he said aside from the misfire the engine looks good and runs well. Ive been looking for one for a few months now and I really liked the style, size, convenience, and dependability of these little Toyotas! This one needs some serious love, but I can't wait to renovate and personalize it! My buddy said the misfire could be as simple as a distributor cap or spark plugs so I'm gonna try those first and cross my fingers that that's all it is. If not I'll have to have my mechanic do some more trouble shooting when he does the exhaust for me.

I see both of you have been on this forum for a while! How long have you had these type of campers and what are some of your favorite things about them?! What are some ways you've personalized yours? any tips or must have items for someone whose just starting out on this Toyota camper journey?

10 hours ago, Damien said:

How long have you had these type of campers and what are some of your favorite things about them?! What are some ways you've personalized yours? any tips or must have items for someone whose just starting out on this Toyota camper journey?

I have had mine for 10 years, many here have had theirs much longer. I would say my favorite thing about them is they are a "cult of personality", people will ask you about your ride and probably get offers to buy it from you. Really though the best thing about these rigs are the wings! Don't know why manufacturers quit making them.

You'll find a lot of modification and personal touches from folks on this forum just browse away. I haven't done much modification on mine but over the years I got rid of the jack-knife sofa the most uncomfortable bed on planet earth!

I think the must have item to have onboard is coffee but really if you plan on hooking up to city water you need to get a water reducer like this one. I blew out my water lines by not having one and it was a pain to fix.

Cheers!

Gary

Tight valve clearance more than anything else is lack of power. First things first would be a compression check it's easy and quick. Low compression on a single cylinder very well could be a tight valve. Do the simple stuff first and proceed from there. 

I'll make sure to do that compression check and get the valves adjusted. Thanks for the advice guys!

Gary, what do you mean by wings? I'll have to browse around some of the other discussions for some ideas on mods! What did you put in place of the couch? Coffee is definitely a must have hahah! I just ordered that reducer, thanks for the tip! I have some plumbing and electrical questions, but I'll start a new discussion under the right category.

If the compression is pretty equal all around you probably don't have tight clearance. That's not saying they should not be checked simple to check, pain to fix it is time consuming and expensive and not many are qualified or have the tools. The 3L's were finicky but with most shimmed valves all the parts ware at the same rate so the clearance remains the same through the life of the valve.  

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Gary, what do you mean by wings? I'll have to browse around some of the other discussions for some ideas on mods! What did you put in place of the couch?

Damien, I bet you thought I was talking about Paul McCartney's old band. Looking a newer Toys here on the forum I'm finding not all of us have wings. 😉 

Wings.jpg.11423a9b0b71419f53363ffb2771489b.jpg

For the jack-knife sofa I just have temporary couch cushions in place on a plywood sheet for now. Having a 4 cylinder it was good to get rid of some back pain as well as some weight. Best advise is do small renovations and keep the ability to take it out and camp at the same time. Don't get into a big project and have your baby sit in the driveway for months on end.

126040255_jackreplace.jpg.b82b0a1f2f738bd96d6bb4452140f1b8.jpg

Oh ok. thats cool! Mine doesn't have those. Thats a good idea. I was thinking about a lightweight futon in place of the jack-knife sofa. 

If it was in better condition I would consider doing little stuff, but its kinda rough and I wouldn't be comfortable sleeping in it. Plus I'm not sure what's going on underneath everything and I'd like to have the confidence everything is done right before I take it on any longer trips. With everything going on in the world I probably won't take it out this season anyways so that gives me time to work on it. I've been saving for one for years so I have a little money to put in to it and customize it to fit my needs and wants.