Want to buy Toyota motorhome! MI area

Doglover15

Hi all! New user here, first post. I'm looking to pick up a RV to go camping with my dog... The size of these Toyota motorhomes is perfect. I'm in the market to buy one near the Detroit MI area, not looking for a project but also not looking to break the bank lol. I'm not picky on length, year, or anything really. I would love to find one with the manual transmission 4cyl combo, but would be open to automatics and V6s as well. If anyone knows of a rig near me or is looking to sell theirs, let me know! 

Thanks for looking! 

54 minutes ago, Doglover15 said:

Am I crazy for thinking this 1981 is way overpriced at $9,900? It has over 100k miles too. https://happyrvcampers.com/vdp/16357388/Used-1981-Toyota-Pickup-Landcruiser-M21-for-sale-in-Lafayette-IN-47905

Way too expensive. It also has the “bad axle”. Maybe $2K if that much.

The rear axle “Must Have” 6 lug wheels. If only 5 lugs the axle is unsafe and will have to be replaced. Can cost thousands (if you can find a 6 lug ff for sale). The rigs looks nice, but way overpriced.

8 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

1986 and newer will have the 'good' FF axle. Older than that, many have had a FF axle retrofitted. But many haven't.

Thank you Derek! 

Also, If you’re buying in MI, check the frame rails for rot. Toyota didn’t use heavy gage steel on their frames. Road salt will do a lot of damage.

If everything underneath is rusty, check the frame closely before buying. You don’t want to put it on a lift and have it break in two. I’ve seen it happen. Not on Toyota, but GM truck.

18 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Also, If you’re buying in MI, check the frame rails for rot. Toyota didn’t use heavy gage steel on their frames. Road salt will do a lot of damage.

If everything underneath is rusty, check the frame closely before buying. You don’t want to put it on a lift and have it break in two. I’ve seen it happen. Not on Toyota, but GM truck.

Good point, rust underneath is definitely something I will be checking for. 

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

Totem is in Michigan. He mention that he might be willing to sell his Sunrader. He's done a lot of work though and it would not be anywhere close to cheap

Linda S

Hi Linda! Thanks. I definitely can go a bit higher in price, but trying not to go too high.