Water drains in unusual ways

WAdolph92

Hi, so I’m testing out my water system. I’ve found that when I pull the 2 drain valves, which are next to the water heater (pictured below), water drains in an unusual way. Can someone help me

troubleshoot the problem?

The water seems to be coming out somewhere above the Grey water tank and dripping down the outside of it onto the ground. Shouldn’t it go through a pipe and into the grey water tank when I pull them?  

Also, I’m not sure how to drain the water heater. Any info on that would be helpful. The manual just says to refer to the water heater manual for instruction. 

A244A97E-2051-4A9D-997F-1DEEE05B6125.jpeg

6E42DA54-8B6A-45BF-BF93-B1000743D3B4.jpeg

Pretty much normal. At the bottom of the tank (visible when the door is open) there is a plug maybe plastic or metal pretty good size hex nut on it. Open the relief valve at the top and remove the plug and stand back!

29 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Pretty much normal. At the bottom of the tank (visible when the door is open) there is a plug maybe plastic or metal pretty good size hex nut on it. Open the relief valve at the top and remove the plug and stand back!

A  plug on the water heater itself, or do you mean outside in the exterior compartment? Here’s a photo. Not sure where you mean but I take it you mean the rusty hex bolt on the bottom left 🤔

To clarify, it is pretty much normal for water to just openly drain above the grey water tank?  Wherever it comes from, I can’t see. I only see water streaming down the sides of the grey water tank. 

DEB59D53-BB7D-4D82-8E77-746CBD685F94.jpeg

Edited by WAdolph92

Yes the rusty plug on the water heater drains the water heater. The other valve you opened drains the fresh water tank. It probably had a rubber tube attached to the outside originally to drain around the grey tank but it fell off and no the fresh water tank water is not supposed to go into the grey tank unless you run the pump and it goes down the sink drain. So why do you have that extra drain? Lots of reasons, most importantly draining the tank more completely to prepare for freezing weather. 

Linda S

21 hours ago, WAdolph92 said:

Thank for the responses from both of you. That explains it all!  Next is to test the hot water heater, but so far everything seems good. No leaks and good water pressure. 

Be sure your heater is full before lighting it! Close the relief valve put the plug back in then turn the water on pump or hose turn on a hot tap until water runs out. If you can find a plastic tank plug I would replace it with the plastic one it will never rust or seize in the tank.

Edited by Maineah

I decided to replace the drain plug with a short nipple with a water valve cut-off . That way I can just turn the handle 1/4" turn  to cut it on or off.It sure saves a little labor and time when you need to drain the water heater tank. Be sure to put Teflon tape on the  threads of the nipple before you attach it to the tank. Be sure to get same size of nipple as the drain plug. Then a water valve to attach to the nipple. I can't remember if I got a BRASS nipple, seems like I did so it wouldn't rust.

DSC04517.JPG

Edited by Homer