Adding a heat sensor guage to automatic transmssion

2 choices in the pan or in a cooling line.

To mount the sensor in a transmission cooler line you need a kit like this...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-sen-04-11

If you put it in the pan you will have to drop the pan and install a bung like this...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-270?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-hayden-automotive&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07PtmLSk3gIVEIzICh1IggBdEAQYAyABEgJO4_D_BwE

The pan mount will give you the average temp of the fluid, mounting the sender in the transmission out cooler line will give you the peak temp of the fluid.

Frankly the pan is the best place that is what the trans is going to use to do its job what comes out the other end is going to be hot it has been worked hard. Alternatively the return line close to the pan at least it's been through the cooler.

Ain't opinions wonderful ?Actually where to put the sensor is the start of many verbal food fights.

Those for the transmission output line believe that its is heat that is what kills transmission fluid, so they want to know what the max temp the fluid has been.

The pan guys believe that heat kills the transmission so they want to know the temp of the fluid that goes into the transmission.

What ever you do the important thing is to see what is "normal" for your transmission and when you start to work it hard the gauge gives you warning to slow/shift down.

Well this certainly raises more questions than I had anticipated but I relish the opinions of you all. Maybe I should put two sensors - one inline and one in the pan and that way I can corner the cat so to speak.

While I have your kind attention is there any way to tell what model of automatic transmission I have in the 1987 Toyota motorhome with 22R2 motor and Sumber Queen motorhome. The owners manual is gone but I do have a 3 inch thick shop manual with it.