Surprise fix for Norcold on propane

BobBeery

Previous owner took out a small Dometic and put in a big(6.2 cu ft) Norcold 611 with electronic controls, a thermistor, and automatic switching between A/C and propane.  It always worked perfectly on A/C but the propane was failing inconsistently.  Sometimes it would start working but stop after 4 or 8 or 3 or 36 hours.  Usually it would light but only until the heat sensor (no thermocouple in this one) timed out then the solenoid on the gas valve would close.  Maybe 15 or 20 seconds.  Finally I found a man who is a certifies repair tech for both Norcold and Dometic.

It wasn't the fridge at all!!  The propane pressure was way off.  Spec is 11 inches.  Mine was at 16.  This caused too small a flame even on the highest setting so the heat sensor did not activate.  My Warrior has a built-in propane tank and the regulator does not resemble the one at the end of a hose for a BBQ tank.  It is, however, adjustable so he turned it down to spec and we tried it.  The flame was about double in size and double in the noise it made.  It stayed lit.  Then he cautioned me that while the outside vent for incoming air was proper size for the long gone small Dometic, it was too small for the larger Norcold.  He said the elegant fix would be to change over to a proper size vent, but suggested that I add a thermostatically controlled fan to move more air up the coils.  (Valterra sells one for about $45.) Then he warned me when I am camped to not  put a table in front of the lower vent or to otherwise block it. 

I have since tried it in all circumstances, such as the thermistor shutting it off, then automatically re-igniting, or switching both ways between propane and A/C. staying lit at 55mph.  It works perfectly.

He charged me $40 and I tipped him another $10.

Edited by BobBeery
additional info.