New to RVing and Toyota Dolphin

BBC3

Hi there!

I'm interested in finding out more about the vehicle I have - Dolphin 1991 V6,  and things to watch out for in general and maintenance to do. Is there a book that someone can recommend, or a place to find good info?

Thanks!

BBC3

Except that that book will not have the flaws in the 3.0 V6 listed. That engine had a recall on the head gasket and if valve adjustments are not done timely it can cause burnt valves and engine damage.

Linda S

Thanks Linda - I am aware of the head gasket 'recall'. The guy reports having had that done back in the day. Assuming he did, which I am, do 'valve adjustments' need doing anyway?

Thanks.

i believe the valve adjustment is at 60k intervals. you will find this forum a blessing. any question has probably been asked here already, but feel free to ask away. all the people here are helpful and some are very knowledgeable, the "been there, done that", experience is through out any topic. welcome and good luck. joe from dover.

Spoiler

How old are the tires. Lots of times when someone has such low miles on an RV they think the tires are fine but they are not. Old tires blow even with good tread. Anything older than 6 or 7 years needs to be replaced. There is a date code on them

Linda S

Thanks for the advice Linda. The tires are new. It looks and sounds like the guy who sold it really cared for it. He was the only owner.

If it was a reputable shop they if nothing else would have at least checked the valve clearance I would think during the gasket replacement. Unless you are retired and like to travel a lot it will take a long time to put 30K on your MH!

Yeah, I concur....I'm thinking a max of 4K a year....but no idea right now really. Just planning on exploring MI!! Can't wait!!

The easiest way to confirm that the head gasket was replaced is to go to your local Toyota dealer and ask.  They get reimbursed by Corporate for the work (rental car, too) so it's a money maker for them if it is eligible.  Mine had no record of a change, so they did mine this year .  They also looked at the valves at the same time, which need to be shimmed, and I only ended up paying the labor for the adjustment instead of paying for the teardown of the motor as well.

If yours is an automatic transmission like mine, you would be wise to have a transmission FLUSH (not replacement) as ATF does get old and breaks down.  A reputable transmission shop which has the machine will run you somewhere around $200 these days, part of that being the fluid - mine went through something like 12 quarts before it got clear.  I get mine done every 30K miles and do not have transmission issues as a rule.

Even though everything might work, you might want to double check your lights as mine are all corroded on the rear from one too many rainstorm and poor quality sealant.

Edited by stayingretired
forgot something

Hi Stayingretired - thanks for your input. I did try and get confirmation from Toyota using the VIN, but they declined saying that had no records now as they 'sold' it onto someone else and would not tell me who....right!?......so as far as I know, there is no way of knowing or finding out. (If you know different, for sure let me know. However, I trust the dude had it done as he appears to have cared for it very well indeed...and why wouldn't he!? 

It is an automatic and so I will take your advice and Flush transmission....anything else I should have done while it is at the garage....? I'll also look at the lights and all the seals. No leaks reported or seen, so unbelievable really, but true it seems. I'll be looking out for that though as it is super common on all RVs so I hear.

Many thanks to all the folks here for advising me on this - I appreciate it!

Did a dealer tell you that? You can always call corporate but you must make it clear it's the special service campaign for the 3.0 head gasket. Look up your vin here

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftoyotamotorhome.org%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dattach%26section%3Dattach%26attach_id%3D3864&ei=pw0RUpfOBoagigLxtIDwCg&usg=AFQjCNEO5ZfE87ouQz6YEr8jnd6fX_0IRg&sig2=ou-jBMVhUlCd3_VgILtC3A

I'm sure it's there. Not the special service adjustment, that is expired, but your vin should be under the special service campaign. If you print it out and take it to a dealer they can contact Toyota corporate directly. I think they misunderstood. Toyota knows the vin of every head gasket they had to replace. If yours has been done they know it. Otherwise people would get it done twice

Linda S

Hi Linda S

Thanks for taking the time to write. I don't understand the document that you sent. Sorry. As I said, when I entered the VIn Toyota site did not recognize it, and then I called and they said that they no longer have that information as they 'sold' it to someone else.

The VIN is: JT5VN94T7M00022509

3 hours ago, BBC3 said:

... they declined saying that had no records now as they 'sold' it onto someone else and would not tell me who....right!?

That's the first time I've ever heard that 'Fairy Tail'. I've read several people reporting having the SSC work done this year. In Toyotas own words, an SSC never expires. I'd go into a Service Dept and ask at the counter. They should be able to pull up on their computer (using your VIN) any work ever done at a Dealership, including the SSC.

EDIT:  Is your VIN over 0014060? That's the cutofff between the SPA and SSC.

Yeah, I'll for sure do that. I was kind of miffed when they fobbed me off like that.....just didn't want to deal so closed me down basically. Not cool.

Now that I have some validation by you guys, I will pursue it again. 

I don't even know what the SPA and SCC stand for I'm afraid......my VIN is: JTVN94T7M00022509

Thanks. Yeah, I know it was on the 'recall' list. What I had hoped to find out is whether or not it had actually been done. Some people are indicating it is possible to find this out. So far I have not been able to find that out. I'm trusting that it has been done at this point, and bought it knowing it might not have been done anyway....:)