Cooling Systems Part choices?

Back East Don

Put it off this spring but it's due.  I need to flush out the cooling system.  In addition, I am going to treat this like any used vehicle I buy and just replace the hoses, thermostat, radiator cap and now that I just hit 65k probably the water pump.

87 Itasca 22RE

I've looked up some of the oem parts for the radiator cap (16401-63010) and thermostat (90916-03078) but there is no listing for the gasket on the Toyota parts site.  Anyone got a part number?

Water pump is 16100-39346-83 for the oem but Rock Auto also carries the Aisin and Beck Arnley for about half.  Any recommendations here?

Still got twelve tabs open in the browser looking up the hoses and while I'm at it, the belts should be replaced. 

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Don't forget the little hose under the alternator.

Last year when I redid mine I bought the kit from Rock Auto.  http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2596240&cc=1277995&jsn=421

The water pump was Aisin and was an exact duplicate of the Toyota pump I took out, except where Toyota was stamped on the OE pump it was ground off on the Aisin.

When I say exact, was the steel of the same purity, was the molecular integrity of the seals the same, where the bearings of the same hardness, I have no idea but sure looked the same!

Are you going to use red or green coolant? :rolleyes:

Edited by jjrbus

48 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

Are you going to use red or green coolant?

I'm saving the red for the Sunrader I'll never find.

I have the 4cyl so no timing belt but I was thinking the Aisin is probably oem.

Edited by Back East Don

For posterity.  1987 Itasca cooling system parts.  It was a Gates kind of day along with a couple of Aisin parts.

Aisin WPT007 Water pump

Aisin FCT003 Fan clutch

Gates 21398 Upper radiator, 20801 Lower radiator.  18792, 18789 & 18843 Heater hoses.  Also listed were a couple auxiliary heater hoses that don't seem to apply.  There was also a 18400 that was $5 so I added it in case it is the infamous under the Alternator  hose that I can't find.

Also have an issue with the heater motor speed control.  Ordered a control resistor motor.

AC is no longer functional so no belt there but ordered Gates 7345 & 9440 Alternator and power steering belts.

I ordered the oem radiator cap (16401-63010) and thermostat (90916-03078) and a couple of Beck Arnley thermostat gasket.

Also while I under the hood might as well change the oil so ordered a OEM 90915-YZZD1 Oil Filter  For some reason Amazon says it doesn't fit though I've ordered it before.

No Red Antifreeze.  Did see a listing for a Sunrader in ME for the low price of $18000.  For that kind of money it should come with the Red stuff already done.

On 8/9/2016 at 10:58 AM, Back East Don said:

Water pump is 16100-39346-83 for the oem but Rock Auto also carries the Aisin and Beck Arnley for about half.  Any recommendations here?

Water-pump life is determined by the quality of the rotary seal and the sealed-bearing assembly. Aisin is the OEM supplier to Toyota for water-pumps. I seriously doubt that Aisin somehow finds superior bearings and seals to only use in Toyota-branded water-pumps and uses less-quality parts in those they put their own company name on.

Don,

My current car is a Volvo and I drove Buick's for years before that. I am used to finding aftermarket parts where OEM are exceedingly expensive and for many parts at least offer no particular value for exceptional cost.

However, for the 22RE I was simply lazy and didn't think the OEM prices were out of line.  22RE performance dot com had all the oem parts laid out in such an easy way to find that I just looked at my toy and then went through their web site and put everything into a big spreadsheet.  Called Jerry and went through the order with him. In a few days I had almost every piece of rubber in the engine compartment in original Toyota packaging.  The only things we got wrong was that I didn't have power steering and got some vacuum hoses that I didn't need.  Also ended up with small radiator cap and my truck has the large one.

Below is a pic of the end result. (Still have a couple of hoses that we missed and will likely install OEM cap an rotor as well.)  Just got back from about a 600 mile trip. Went through the Sawtooth mountains, (More accurately just really big hills.) a small amount of stop and go traffic, and the temp was stable as a rock.  Used my infrared temp gauge and everything looked super constant. Very happy with the end result.

Used a toyota OEM oil filter as well. Not sure if I will continue that but I will say that after about 800 miles the oil is still clear and hasn't moved a bit.  I have always been happy with Wix or Hastings filters but it was just an easy thing to add to the order.

Also got some aluminum billet seals for the head / valve cover gasket.  No more messy leaks!

There are a lot of cooling and vacuum hoses on this beast!  It really was quite a bit of work. However, with everything OEM it was pretty simple to just lay everything out and work until it was all gone;-)  I did not go with Toyota Red antifreeze though.

Wade 

IMG_0186.jpg

Edited by Wade

8 hours ago, Wade said:

Used a toyota OEM oil filter as well. Not sure if I will continue that but I will say that after about 800 miles the oil is still clear and hasn't moved a bit.  I have always been happy with Wix or Hastings filters but it was just an easy thing to add to the order.

Thanks Wade.  The basic parts I ran down have been ordered.  I have a couple of weeks before the next trip and tracking says everything is to arrive tomorrow.

Some time back there was a rather contentious thread about oil filters.  The outcome on that for me was I recorded the OEM part number and added it permanently to my Amazon parts wish list.  As with all things Amazon the price fluctuates  but it was available this time as an add on item to my prime order for $7.65 and all I had to do to order it was to click.   That thread had pretty mixed opinions.  Almost hate to even mention it in fear of stirring the pot but it really was worth the read.

I priced out parts between Rock and Amazon and ordered most of the OEM stuff from Amazon and most the rest from Rock with a little this and that mixed in. I plan on draining and tearing it down and will decide what else to replace once I've had a deeper look.

OEM Toyota oil filter is a Denso

1 hour ago, Gulfstream Greg said:

Flush the system with a hose flush kit then re-flush with distilled water. When replacing coolant use distilled water and not tap water.

Still awaiting the last bit of parts.  As I'll have it all apart, it will be pretty easy to get most of what is left after flushing it out and then removed.  The hardest item might be the heater core.  Thinking low pressure air from the compressor or high volume air from the shop vacuum cleaner. From there it will be distilled.  Might pick up a few more jugs and run some through before hand.

7 hours ago, Back East Don said:

Still awaiting the last bit of parts.  As I'll have it all apart, it will be pretty easy to get most of what is left after flushing it out and then removed.  The hardest item might be the heater core.  Thinking low pressure air from the compressor or high volume air from the shop vacuum cleaner. From there it will be distilled.  Might pick up a few more jugs and run some through before hand.

When I did mine the heater core was loaded with gunk. Florida vehicle so it is possible that heater had never been used or flushed.  Mine seemed to clean out with just water pressure from the hose, not sure on PSI but would guess about 40 PSI??