Freezer Door

Bigdog

"Help"

I'm in the middle of replacing the tension springs on my RM461 freezer door.

How do I set the tension to keep the door shut tight?

you definitely need to preload the tension of the springs in the housing but I can't find a good description. here are some you tube videos but mostly just shows installing the complete housing. left and right are not exchangeable.

https://www.google.com/#q=replace+springs+in+dometic+freezer+door

Here's the best description of loading the springs I could find but it's not much.

There are springs (and housings) are on each side of the freezer door. You may need to replace both the left and right side, and they (the plastic housings) are not interchangeable.
You'll need to pre-load the springs and housings before installing the freezer door. This is done by rotating the tabs on the new (or old housing if you are only replacing the springs) housing past (below) the little bumps that are molded into the Dometic refrigerator door.
After you reinstall the door, rotate the tabs on the housing up. You'll see where a little tab on the spring housing will fit into a slot on the sidewalls of the refrigerator.
It should take you about 10 or 15 minutes to figure it out and 2 minutes to install it.
Good Luck.

Linda S

"Help"

I'm in the middle of replacing the tension springs on my RM461 freezer door'

how do I set the tension to keep the door shut tight?

I thought my springs were bad and bought a set of new ones. Then when I went to install them - I found out originals had not broken. Just slipped out of place and was an easy fix to put them like they were supposed to be. No incremental adjustment - just right or wrong.