Need A New Water Heater

there might be and might not. if not install a water heater bypass kit. is used to avoid filling 6 gallons of rv antifreeze in the water heater and can be used to bypass a bad heater.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had time on a dry day to swap out the tank. I got a new one for $155 shipped, so went that option instead of a new heater.

Unfortunately, the t-stay assembly would not come out of the old one in one piece, so here goes another $78 for a new one.

Maybe upgrading to a new, electric pilot, 10 gallon unit wasn't a bad idea. Oh well, live and learn.

To temporarily get hot water, I am routing the furnace exhaust through the water heater. Does anyone see any problem with this?

post-5442-0-16769600-1448507116_thumb.jp

Long as there are no exhaust leak that's a clever idea! If there are any leaks exhaust gas could end up inside of the coach.

I think you mean "CO" detector. That's carbonMONOXIDE, not dioxide.

Yes, sitting on top of the microwave,

The water heater pan is sealed properly, so no outside air can come inside, including exhaust.

Oh, and yes, it does a great job heating the water. I turn the heat down as low as it'll go at night, so it's about 58 degrees inside, but obviously, with the nights sitting at the low 30s, the furnace cycles at night, then I turn it up when I get up, and by shower time, the "hot water" is warm enough to take a very comfortable shower! Kinda makes me wonder if I'll ever "fix" it.