Should shore power charge my coach battery?

cobraguy

I inherited Dads Mini Mirage. I've had it out a couple times and the deep cycle coach battery dosen't seem to charge when I plug into shore power. It charges just fine when driving. Should it charge when plugged in?

make shure the breakers are on and no bad fuses . you may want to upgrade to a modern chagrer converter. the old time ones are primtive and if left on all the time will boil the battery the tecnolgy was crude there is a relay that switchs from shore power and charging to battery supply for 12 volt loads whin using battery only many have said the relay is a trouble prown spot. the new modern units can be pluged in all the time will not over charge. i cant park myn all the time at my house so as long as mine works i am not changing it. AND WELCOME TO THE GROUP

check out your make and model of converter. there were converters without built in battery chargers made in the 70's, i had one in a tent trailer. both converters i currently have has the output of the charger on the info label inside the door to the fuses on the converter. might find that info online if not labeled.

I have an 83 Dolphin and my converter doesn't charge and isn't supposed to I have to run a battery charger on a splitter from my shore power but I'm fine with it one less thing to break (and when it does I'm only out $20).

I have the same year and motor. My original charger made a humming noise so I thought it was working. A quick voltage check showed it was not.

Most of the new converters put out 13.8 volts which will keep your coach battery charged while on shore power. They also have a float circuit to prevent cooking the battery.

Get the amp rating of your current charger and replace with the same.

I found some good deals on Amazon.

Good luck. Fred