It's alive!

lilviking

Thanks to everyone so far answering questions and helping out! Here's a recap and the low down.

Found my kinda unknown motore home on Craig's list in Austin Texas. This is what I know it''s around a 1977/78 Toyota Hilux, 20r w 87k. The faded logo and modle tag says its manufactured by Royal Holiday, So. El Monte CA, Nov '77. Only 500$, doesn't run, no title.

Any one out there know about the manufacturer?

So I'm in Texas, in order to get a title I need a lien. After 30yr it's an automatic valu setting around 4k, and bonded at 1.5 mark up making it 6k at 10% bond 600$ for 3yrs then it's mine and since I'm from out of state I don't get the money back. The guy I got it from bought it from some one who got it back in '08. Some papers I found in the glove box had a name and through sadly Face Book I find the last registered owner. Now back to the engine, I turn the key lights and all come on but it click! So I get the starter out, and of cores it's bad, so I order a new one. As I'm waiting I think hey it's probably good to check things out and change the thermostat. Spray some PB spray first bolt comes out smooth, the second closest to the head a little sticky. Back and forth, slowly a pop and SNAP!!! I work at it and talk to some friends and we conclude to try and drill and extract it, and retap it. So away i go drilled out the old bolt, got the bolt extractor of hardended steal and POP!!!

At this point I have no title to a none starting truck, with a broken bolt now reinforced with hardened steal.

I get back on it, contact the last owner and the last registered owner. Track em down and get two titles in the mail. Reach my buddy for some advice, it's too short to weld and try and extract the bolt. So we drill next to it, tap and dye it just a lil off center. Works fine. The starter comes or I should say the first one is, and the solenoid is bunk but so are my terminals and cable... So replace everything.

Today title comes in the mail, new starter to the shop, thermostats re tapped and secure... Everything on and ready to go...

Sit be hind the wheel, turn the key, lights come on... Click! Bervrrrooom! Thing runs like a top! One little puff of smoke. And just running like a dream...

So now to remodel the inside, and tons of question will come, this place is amazing!!! The only thing now is what should I watch for to avoid another reinforced bolt?!?

And as soon as I figure out how to post photos and videos on here I'll post.

Thanks again y'all!

Bound for adventure!

Congratulations and welcome;

Sounds like the first two obstacles were overcome, No Title, and broken bolts.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Welcome to the best site online for old toyota's.

I have a 1978 Galavan with the 20R engine and 4 speed. I've owned it about 6 months and it came with 95K origional miles. (have all the paperwork from day 1).

Time sitting takes its toll on seals and hoses. The first thing I would look at changing is the crankshaft oil seal. These seem to wear out at 80-90K. You will know when this happens as the motor will start gushing oil from behind the crankshaft pully. It's not an expensive part (about $15.00) at autozone, but you will need a "chain wrench" to hold the pully when you remove the crank bolt. If you decide to do this let me know and I'll walk you through it. (just did mine). Get the Haynes manual for the Hilux. About $20.00 online. I like Haynes because they give you a wiring diagram in the back of the book. Chiltons is also good but no diagram.

I've had real good advice from members here. You picked the best site to go to. Good Luck fred