Sand Driving Tips?

johnkimble

I'm am planning a trip up to cape cod in august. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done any beach camping in their rig? I read through the NPS tips for driving on sand [lower tire pressure, bring a tow rope, etc] but I was wondering if anyone with first hand experience could let me know the pros and cons... well maybe just the cons of camping on the beach.

The place I'm trying to stay is Race Point Beach. Anyone ever been there?

[p.s. I'm driving a Mini Cruiser that is approximately 21ft long]

RVs don't do well in sand. I've gotten my fair share buried up to the frames in sand.

Bring a HD tow strap and a snatch strap. You may want to add some 4x4 tow hooks on the front frame to give someplace solid to attach the straps when you want to get out. Don't let anyone try to pull you out by the back bumper as it will come off easily.

Best advice for the beach and an RV. Watch out for the incoming tide.......

Best advice is don't, unless you see lots of class A rigs on firm sand. If you go on dry sand, NEVER,NEVER stop moving

I used to live in Chatham and belonged to a Cape Cod chapter of Good Sams. Many of New England beaches have very fine sand. I can't remember what the sand at Race Point in Truro was like. I never found a beach on the Cape that was safe to traverse with a MH. Remember, when the sand is damp you can drive on it. When it's wet or dry, forget it.

While you're down that way check out the Beachcomber in Wellfleet and Heritage Plantation in Sandwich. Nickerson State Park in Brewster is one of the best in the country.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. Based on everything said I've pretty much decided that it would be cheaper to stay in a hotel then it would to lose my MH to the tide, sand, or someones ill fated attempt to tow me out.

Futar- are you familiar with any beaches in the area that allow tent camping? Most of the information I've found is in regards to self contained vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Some ppl swear that double axles are more prone to getting stuck in sand, but that seems odd to me since there is more surface area? weird. Definitely letting the air out helps, but I've seen too much air let out too! Maybe 20#'s would seem about the minimum. A nice bulge but not "flat".

Don't stop is good advice.. but don't ever "punch it" either. The one thing about sand is you have to get stuck to find out where the limit is. And stuck is no fun. If you do however get stuck. STOP :P Better to dig out of the mess before it gets worse.. which it only will.

post-385-1217994597_thumb.jpg

So peaceful now. What a pain getting back up the sandy hill down to here... What a dumbass! Some ppl never learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back from Cape Cod. Nickerson State Park was nice although the camp loop was set up so the site was just across the road. Not much privacy there. Myles Standish- where we stayed the first night and only for a few hours- was also very nice. The camper held up well. Maxing out at 55mph was a little hectic at times. NJ Turnpike at night in the rain at 55 was probably the worst drive I've ever made but other than that it was a fun little trip. I used the bike rack that I got from craigslist. Modified it slightly and reinforced/strengthened the bolts holding the spare tire to the bumper. It rattled a little but did no damage to the bikes. Worked like a charm.... and at a great price. Approx. $35 after a trip to the hardware store.