Why a Toyota??

WME

Have you ever asked your self why drive a Toyota MH,  I mean a tiny fuel tank, equally tiny water and waste tanks, no power, and it shouldn't be towing anything. Well bub have you??

Well basically your CHEAP?. Let me reinforce your smug self rightness....

We just returned from a 19 day 3350 mi trip in our, new to us, Winnebago Brave, one of the mid sized Class A out there. We pulled a Buick Encore as a towd.

The score sheet 3350 mi, 441 gal of fuel, $1350.00 fuel cost, 7.5 mpg, cruse control was set in the 62-65 mph range and the average fuel cost was $3.10.

The Brave has a 70 gal fuel tank and a 500mi range. Largest single fill was 58 gal. Major PIA is most fuel pumps have a $75 credit card single transaction limit. ? So what ever time you save with the large tank, you waste running your credit card 3x. Usually that means 2 credit cards...

We now return you to your normally sponsored program......

A regular trip report will be posted in the usual place.

Edited by WME

My guesstimate is -.75 mpg for the toad, so about a $100 in gas. We used the towd for 7 days during the trip. Rentals in big cities run $40 a day so the towd is "cost effective" with a Class A.

A towd with a Toy doesn't seem to be as good of a deal. Maybe a scooter instead. With a 20ft or shorter Toy get a bicycle for camp grounds and just drive the Toy everywhere else.

We had rain or snow for 4 days, the extra room sure was nice. Going for 6 days with the onboard water and waste tanks sure is nice too.

Edited by WME

All personal choices,  with even a small class A and toad I could not back into some of the parking spots that I easily fit in.  After full timing for a few years in a class A I found the toad can get to be a real pain!    Sure would be nice to have larger tanks!

10 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I towed a Ford Windstar van,  it was used as a shed! There is only so much room in a 35' motorhome, needed all the extra space I could get.

I would love to own a MB diesel Via (it's only 26') but being retired a bank robbery would be the only way.

How does that Class A do on gravel Forest Service roads that lead to pin-drop quiet dispersed camping in the Colorado Rockies with the Milky Way above? ?️

3 weeks before this BIG trip I went fishing at the head of the Sweetwater River. When we leave the hwy, its at 7500 ft. Drove on 12 miles of "all weather" county maintained gravel road, then 11 miles of county maintained "not all weather" gravel road, 8 miles of sorta gravel Fire Service road, finally 4 miles of bladed dirt road to get to a camping spot on the river.

So So fishing, native fish are a lot smarter than hatchery fish. The Milky Way is totally awesome when your camped at 10,000ft and making smores. Unfortunately it wasn't pin drop quite due to the river noise?

We do a lot of dry camping by rivers on BLM land or at  remote Forest service camp sites. Even camp at civilized camp grounds on lakes and reservoirs and kayak fish. The Winne has a lot more ground clearance than my Toy did so long as the road isn't insanely twisted or really off road Moab style I get to go more places

Edited by WME

My other motorhome is a 35' FC Bluebird Wanderlodge.  

To own a Wanderlodge and maintain it, runs around $300 per month, even if you don't use it much.  That cost includes most of the work being DIY, and includes tires every 5-7 years ($4000  give or take), and replacement batteries ($600-$1000) which may only last 2-3 years.  Filling the fuel tank can put a major dent in a $1000 wallet.  

The Dolphin is much more rustic, less luxury, goes just as fast, is just as much fun, is better for the Oregon coast and mountain camping.  In comparison of build quality, the Dolphin is sticks and staples... the Wanderlodge is solid steel.  I lived in my Wanderlodge for 3 years, and it is quiet, and just plain cool.

They both have their place, but for my big trip this fall, I'm taking the Dolphin.  I'll save at least a grand in fuel costs.

Both rigs attract attention.

You can buy a really good Dolphin for $8000.  A really good Wanderlodge for $15-35 grand, depending.  You can buy both for the price of an almost new Honda Accord.  The new Dolphin probably cost $25-30,000 in 1984.  The Wanderlodge cost $300,000 back in 1989.  I bought it 5 years ago for a song, and it was in excellent shape.   Drove it home from Cadillac Michigan... and the first fill-up took $700.  But the tank lasted 1400 miles.  Yes, 50 cents per mile for fuel at 7.5-8 mpg.

The view from the driver seat is the same.

"Toyota" is what makes the Dolphin good.  Otherwise, it is just an old camper.  

IMG_1709.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0465.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG