Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has put a toyota 5 speed trans (SR5 I believe) in their rig to replace an auto or manual 4 speed in either their 4 or 6 cyl Toy Home?

If so, how hard was it? Did it cost alot? And please give details about the performance.

Thanks!

Edited by halonut

My 1981 diesel came with a factory 5 speed (4 speed - overdrive 5th). I replaced it about 12 years ago with a late model close ratio 5 speed.

I purchased the gearbox new through Toyota and had a dealer in Baltimore put it in.

The diesel only has around 80 HP so I was never able to use 5th gear. As soon as I shifted into 5th it started to slow down and and I had to down shift.

The late model close ratio gear box matched up with 4.56:1 rear end gears lets me use all of the gears now with no problems but I only have a top speed of around 62 mph

I saw a 92 with a v6 that had a auto that had been changed to a 5 speed the guy said it turned out with more usable power and he used the same rearend,one thing I didn't ask about is what the computer would think with no auto?????????

Ok, thanks for the info. I just picked up a 4 cyl auto & I'm thinking of putting a 5 speed in it. I think that it would have some of the same trouble as the diesel not being able to utilize the 5th gear so I would also being doing some engine mods to try & up the torque & HP a bit.

I had the 5speed put in my 87 dolphin, also 456 rear end, also rebuilt engine and fine tuned. A month ago did over 3000 miles, all conditions, had a low of 15.7 and a high of 19.2(tailwind) overall average 17.6MPH. The people that did it had a donor PU and only had to have the driveshaft done by Machine shop. Just a lot of little things.

It was done in Mexico very cheap, but well done. Since I also changed out the 410 rear end to a 456 5th gear is now high gear.

I have a 5 speed in my 85 Sunrader 22r.

It is wonderful compared to my previuos automatic trans in a winnebago 22re.

5th gear cruises on the freeway 64 , and quietly, and I only use 4th if there is any incline.

I would never buy a automatioc again unless it had a 6.

Henry

Wasn't there an earlier thread on the 5-speeds failing in the motorhomes, something about the

throw out bearing not being designed to handle the weight of the motorhome?

Also, if you look at new cars and trucks that offer a choice between a manual 4-speed or a manual

5-speed, (if you can still find any on todays market) I have always found that the 4-speed

had much better gas mileage over the 5-speed. This was the case with my 1986 Toyota pick-up

truck (half ton), the 4-speed was rated at 25 city/28 highway, and the 5-speed was rated at

21 city/25 highway). I choose the 4-speed and actually averaged 34 on the highway (70mph).

A few years ago I saw the same pattern with VW.

Dennis...