Roof maintenance and sealing

KGordon

I am the excited new owner of an '87 Mini-Cruiser ("Mosey", 21', rear kitchen & bath layout) and am grateful to all the great info I found on this site to make an informed decision.  But of course, I still have questions, which I will try to put in the proper category.   My first question regards the roof.  The unit has been kept under cover most of its life, but when I went up and looked at the roof, it looked like it was time to reseal around the vents and seams, and recoat the roof.  Is this something I can do myself.  And if so, can you point me to the most reliable guides and best products.  I am debating whether to install an AC or powered vent fans (a debate for a separate thread), but before doing anything like that, I want to make sure the roof stays tight.

image.jpg

Edited by KGordon
Cat stepped on keyboard, posted prematurely

Welcome K! Nice rig Man! Yes you can redo your roof but be prepared for some work. I resealed and painted my roof last year. It was the original unpainted metal roof. Preparation is the key! Posting pictures would help determine the condition of your roof. Walking on a piece of plywood will help distribute your weight. Removing all old dried out caulking is first step. I replaced all the screws with larger Stainless Steel screws. I used Dicor lap sealent and Flexseal. After researching I chose SnowSeal made by Sherman Williams. It has a 15 year warranty but is expensive. Goes on blue but dries white. Your roof needs to be completed clean for the paint to adhere. There are many posts on this site regarding roof repair. Good Luck & Have Fun!

You're right Linda, that seam and the wood behind it will need some attention. But I figured I should treat the cause before the symptoms.  One step at a time.    And I will post pictures of the roof as soon as my mechanic gives it back to me.  He's replacing the 17 yr old tires and all the other rubber stuff, and doing some other necessary maintenance.