'84 Shasta: observations pre call to seller?

Here's a little rig that might be worth my looking into.  (Craigslist rvs by owner Humboldt, CA.) 

What I like about it:  22re, *manual transmission*, Rear Dinette/Lounge, dry bath.  Asking $ is right/negotiable. 

I can manage the cab over rebuild.  (Who knows what more water damage there might be..?) 

Please have a look at the listing.  Before I contact seller would like your observations/questions to ask.

Can you tell from pics if it's got a full floating axle?  Is the exterior skin of this Shasta aluminum?  If yes,

would roof be the same material?

Also, chime in with any Shasta generalizations/weaknesses/pros & cons.  ETC.

Thanks all!

Scarlett

Edited by Scarlett O'Hara
misnamed title

Obviously a bit of a project up front but at least it's still opened up to allow you to inspect/accept or redo anything before closing it up again.

Other than that, in the pictures, it looks pretty clean. I'm not sure what I'm seeing in photo #5 down low. Something white. Trim piece?

My guess would be that it is not a full float axle. Can't see hand holds on wheels and they should be there. Don't know what that trim piece is either. Not on other side. Looks like overhead can be fixed pretty easy but no axle no deal. Ask him.

Linda S

12 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'm not sure what I'm seeing in photo #5 down low. Something white. Trim piece?

Not sure what you mean re something "white".  Do you mean in the area just forward of the back bumper?  Derek, what do you think about the amount of mileage?  Certainly not "low miles".  What questions, maintenance wise, should I ask re the engine?  Timing chain?  Or would that be a timing belt? 

Can you offer a ballpark $ on cost of tire replacement?  Any idea of the size required?

2 minutes ago, linda s said:

My guess would be that it is not a full float axle. Can't see hand holds on wheels and they should be there. Don't know what that trim piece is either. Not on other side. Looks like overhead can be fixed pretty easy but no axle no deal. Ask him.

Linda S

Hi Linda!

How right you are: No axle/NO Deal.

#5 shows just behind the passenger door.

Tires: 185R14 Load Rand D. A good deal at the moment are these:-

https://www.amazon.com/Hankook-Vantra-RA18-185R14-102R/dp/B01G2BX64W

Hard to tell on the axle. Can't make out the hub or hand holes but the contour of the rim gives a bit of hope.

All 4 cylinder (up to '88) are timing chains. All V6s ('89 and up) are timing belt.

OK.  Spoke with seller.  A (nice) KID.  Bought Toy 5 months ago in WA state.  Sez previous owner 80 yr old man who may have owned it since new.  No owners' manual/no repair records.  Kid drove Toy to N CA with reportedly no mechanical problems along the way.  Intended to fix it up & live in it.  Got in over his head with project. 

When asked about axle, didn't seem to know what I meant.  Later, seemed to remember that it DID have 6 lugnuts.  I intend to call him again to clarify.  May have him post a pic, if he can do it.  He's hoping to move into RV park, since wearing out welcome in friends' driveway...Said if I come to look he will hook everything up in RV park for inspection.  He's RV clueless, but seem honest.

KID bought two new tires for "insides" of back axle.  Doesn't yet know age of other tires.  His cell phone connection was bad, so I need to call back this evening & try again to get info re AXLE issue.  He OFFERED this re Price:  He will go as low as $3000.

*Intuitive* stabs requested:  If I get a convincing report as to axle, I intend to get away & up there to look ASAP.  Just don't want to make the long round trip for nothing...

Thanks!

55 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

#5 shows just behind the passenger door.

Tires: 185R14 Load Rand D. A good deal at the moment are these:-

https://www.amazon.com/Hankook-Vantra-RA18-185R14-102R/dp/B01G2BX64W

Hard to tell on the axle. Can't make out the hub or hand holes but the contour of the rim gives a bit of hope.

All 4 cylinder (up to '88) are timing chains. All V6s ('89 and up) are timing belt.

Thanks very much Derek!  NOW,  dread final "outcome" on AXLE...

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

It looks like the rear bumper is lower on the driver's side. Also, what's he been towing? Has the rear extension been compromised?

You've got sharp eyes for an old fart!  You may be right, but could just be angle of photo.  What is the "rear extension" and how would I examine it during inspection?   Good idea to ask about what's been towed.  I'll add that to question list.

Toyota delivered a 'Cab and Chassis' (C&C) which was like a pickup without a bed attached. Motorhome manufacturers then extended the Toyota chassis (usually not very strongly) and built a house on it. If a tow hitch is attached to the frame extension without being reinforced, it might have bent while towing.

7 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Toyota delivered a 'Cab and Chassis' (C&C) which was like a pickup without a bed attached. Motorhome manufacturers then extended the Toyota chassis (usually not very strongly) and built a house on it. If a tow hitch is attached to the frame extension without being reinforced, it might have bent while towing.

Gosh, that stinks.  More to worry about...

Also:  I tried to take notes while on phone with KID.  But now, I remember a few other things he told me that I didn't write down.  Said he bought a new Cat converter before leaving Seattle. 

Here's what's nagging me now:  KID says Toy still registered in WA, but has a new CA smog certificate.  I asked if Toy registered in his name, Kid says yes, but that he bought the rig not from the 80 year old guy, but another guy who had only owned it briefly before selling to the KID.   My spidey sense tells me there might be a problem here, but don't know how to clarify the answer...

This KID reminds me of the fellow with the 83 Sunrader.  He was so desperate for the cash that I just couldn't get there in time.  But with this rig, I'm not 'gonna race up there until I feel damn sure it's at least a good/safe bet.  Too "iffy" at this point.

Well, tell him that before you set of, you want to see a picture of the wheel/axle and a picture of the Title in his name. I know nothing much about how things work in California. What would possibly motivate him to put it through an emissions test unless it was in his name and he was going to register it in California. What the heck, ask for a picture of the emissions test too. :)