Introduction of my 1981 Toyota Vader and Order of Repairs?

texanaussie

Hi All,

Been stalking the forum for a short while. I have a 1981 Toyota Vader with 80,000ish miles on it. I have had it for 12 years and for most of that time it has been deteriorating in my driveway. I recently have had the opportunity to move it to my friends giant steel building on her farm where I have tools and electricty at my disposal to do a complete restoration. It will need to have the entire motorhome portion removed and rebuilt. I want to stay as true to the original as possible, but with modern improvements in terms of materials  and components (nice new toilet etc) that are available now that weren't when it was built.

I have no time limit on the project, and the point of it is to gain skill sets that I do not have - mechanical, electrical, plumbing, construction etc. Right now when I read the forums I find the jargon and terminology quite overwhelming. My husband doesn't think I can do this. But I am ready to improve my brain and take on a big challenge. 

Before I get started I would like to know where the experienced restorer would start? And then what would you do next? Assume that it needs a full rebuild, and it does have the solid 22R engine. I plan to take copious amounts of notes and pictures as I go so as to ensure that I am recreating it fairly faithfully. I like the layout as it is, so I don't want to reinvent that.

I don't have many pictures at hand right now. The full length one is from years ago, before the water got in. The others are from the other day when we put a new battery in, fired it up (after 5 years just sitting there), and drove it out to the farm. The engine is solid.

Thanks in advance!

Virginia (in Central Texas)

motorhome.jpg

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

That is so cute. Just looking at the front overhead it doesn't look like a complete loss. Siding is expensive and I bet you could just rebuild from the inside adding new structural support where the old is rotted.

Linda S

I think all of the wood inside the walls is rotted, and my husband thinks the deck is too. There is a lot of water damage. If the deck is rotted wouldnt I have to take the whole back  off? ALso, where does one go to buy the siding anyway?

I'm also reading up about the axle issues - this is a 17' rv so there is no recall in the data base at NHTSA. I'm going to take a look at the back wheel config tomorrow.

Thanks for replying!

Until you start pulling down paneling you won't know what it needs. By deck do you mean the floor? Not sure but yes the floor can usually be reinforced without removing the entire shell. Yes your axle was recalled. All Toyota motorhomes after 1978 or 79 were. Yours is pretty small so single wheels in the back might be an option. It was the dually wheels that caused the problem. OMG. Just took another look at your rear wheels. Your rig has already been upgraded to the full float axle. You don't need anything there. The guys will start chiming in in the morning with tons of suggestions. Welcome to the group

Linda S

I think all of the wood inside the walls is rotted, and my husband thinks the deck is too. There is a lot of water damage. If the deck is rotted wouldnt I have to take the whole back  off? ALso, where does one go to buy the siding anyway?

I'm also reading up about the axle issues - this is a 17' rv so there is no recall in the data base at NHTSA. I'm going to take a look at the back wheel config tomorrow.

Thanks for replying!

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Until you start pulling down paneling you won't know what it needs. By deck do you mean the floor? Not sure but yes the floor can usually be reinforced without removing the entire shell. Yes your axle was recalled. All Toyota motorhomes after 1978 or 79 were. Yours is pretty small so single wheels in the back might be an option. It was the dually wheels that caused the problem. OMG. Just took another look at your rear wheels. Your rig has already been upgraded to the full float axle. You don't need anything there. The guys will start chiming in in the morning with tons of suggestions. Welcome to the group

Linda S

Glad you can tell from the pics! That's a great first piece of news. Thanks for your help. And yes by deck I mean floor. 

I'll confirm that from the photos the axle isn't in need of upgrading.

The siding, though grubby, looks straight and reusable. I'd say the a good scrub will make it look 100%  better and lift your spirits.

You can spend hours watching this guys videos. All rebuilds more or less from the inside out without demolishing everything (which might overwhelm you).

http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/

I know they're trailers, but construction methods will be very similar.

26 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

I'll confirm that from the photos the axle isn't in need of upgrading.

The siding, though grubby, looks straight and reusable. I'd say the a good scrub will make it look 100%  better and lift your spirits.

You can spend hours watching this guys videos. All rebuilds more or less from the inside out without demolishing everything (which might overwhelm you).

http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com/

I know they're trailers, but construction methods will be very similar.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Derek up North said:

I don't know if you saw this other thread, but it's along the lines of what you were originally thinking of.

Ah yes, I did, but thanks for posting it here, it will be good to go back to.

9 hours ago, texanaussie said:

... the point of it is to gain skill sets that I do not have - mechanical, electrical, plumbing, construction etc.

Start with something small that you can complete, start to finish. Might I suggest removing and completely rebuilding the door? Even IF it doesn't need it, it'll be good practice! And maybe showing your S.O. the end result will get him 'on board' with the bigger project. :).

4 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Start with something small that you can complete, start to finish. Might I suggest removing and completely rebuilding the door? Even IF it doesn't need it, it'll be good practice! And maybe showing your S.O. the end result will get him 'on board' with the bigger project. :).

great idea. thanks! 

2 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Assuming (as I have to) that the Vader is 'stick-built' (wood framing), I think one of these would be a good early purchase. Good for joining new good wood to old good wood. They also make smaller 'portable' jigs. :)

It is stick built

Kreg jigs are life savers. I recently used them to build cabinets for a bathroom remodel.  Glad I have them now that I bought an 86 dolphin that needs some tlc. 

59 minutes ago, Rage Kage said:

Kreg jigs are life savers. I recently used them to build cabinets for a bathroom remodel.  Glad I have them now that I bought an 86 dolphin that needs some tlc. 

The old time cabinet makers frown on Kreg jigs,  they are also not very keen on the wheel!   I use My Kreg jig on all kinds of projects and love it!

7 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

The old time cabinet makers frown on Kreg jigs,  they are also not very keen on the wheel!   I use My Kreg jig on all kinds of projects and love it!

You should check out some of kregs other products. If you've got the scratch they make life easier.