How steep is steep? All things are relative.

Derek up North

I came across the following, which I found interesting. From a cycling perspective, where with less than 1hp they take their climbing seriously!

https://books.google.ca/books?id=l8UDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=RA1-PA101&ots=BpHRiLljbG&dq=steepest+paved+mile+in+us+2008&pg=RA1-PA101&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=steepest paved mile in us 2008&f=false

Another place where you can maybe find info on routes near you and a way to see what your R22/A43 will be faced with. :)

http://www.climbbybike.com/climbs_selection_clickmap.asp

I don't know if there's an app where you could specify you want to get from A to B using a route avoiding grades greater than X%?

Looks interesting, though not quite what I was looking for.

I'll have to figure out how much it differs from Googles normal route suggestion. And if it does indeed show the flattest route (which could conceivably take you a long way off course), how much longer would that be than (say) the best route avoiding grades over 10%?

I know, picky, picky. :)

I like that flattestroutes resource - too bad it doesn't provide directions.  

How about a "avoid low bridges / underpasses" - that would be super helpful.  I had to back off the Merritt Parkway (Connecticut) last year once I realized that's where Google Maps had taken me - not fun!!

If you use Google Maps and choose cycling it will show you elevation change - so you could drag and drop your route to adjust it and reduce (or increase) the elevation change.

Edited by MaineErik