Hello all. I'm new to the Toyota Chinook. I'm a Bronco guy but my daughter and I ( mostly hers) have a 76 Chinook. She has had it for a few months but while driving it from MI to WY the water pump went out. I drove to Iowa and fixed it. She continued on the trip. Went another 550-600 miles and almost here the head gasket went. So We loaded it on a trailer and towed it home. So on to my questions...

1)  Is the head aluminum or cast iron? 

2) Is this head built for lead or unleaded gas?

3) Are there certain things the machine shop look for/do while checking the head for cracks? Only one shop in Cheyenne and he his not real familiar with Toyota or 20r.

4) Will a different head work on this block? etc...22r, 22re or others?

5) Are the head bolts tty or can they be reused?

Any other things I should know would be helpful. 

Thank you in advise. Chris

20R head is cast aluminum. Head bolts can be reused. You're going to want a Haynes or Chilton manual for that year. (Haynes includes wiring diagram which is nice). Gasket can be sourced locally.

When I replaced my 20R head gasket I left the intake and exhaust manifolds attached to the head. (you can do that with 20R engine).

Use an engine hoist, remove the hood, lift straight up, replace gasket and lower head back onto block.

There is a small 14mm bolt that sits under the chain sprocket in the front of the head. This must be removed along with the head bolts.

Thank you Fred and Derek for your responses.

The exhaust gasket and oil pan gasket both leak so I need to replace them. Since I have to do that much I figured I might as well do all the gaskets. " Since I'm this far" should I change the timing chain and guides/tensioner? OR is the chain itself durable and just change the guides tensioner?

Thank you for help and experience, Chris