My 1st RV. How rare are these?

DaveTreeRV

Hi all. Just purchased my 1st RV! I'm excited and overwhelmed. 1986 Sunrader Adventure. 22re automatic 105k miles. It's pretty clean inside and out. I've seen many Toyota RV's usually "square" with wood/aluminum sides, but not many with this rounder all fiberglass pop-up style. Are parts going to be hard to find?

I'm a Toyota guy, and somewhat crafty. I have rebuilt 22re's in the past and currently have one in my pickup. But I know nothing about motorhomes. I have a bunch of original paperwork with details and instructions on all the appliances. My plan is to 1st get it running well, tune up, change all the fluids and filters. Then tackle one appliance at a time. Any idea where to start? Was going to do water 1st so I had that (pump, tanks, heater). Then was going to do gas (furnace, stove). I'm sure the inverter/dual battery set-up that powers everything is going to need attention as well. Wish me luck, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way. 

Wow you found an Adventure. They are very rare. Yes get started on the mechanicals for sure. Are you sure the other stuff you mention doesn't work or have you just not tried it out. do you have a good coach battery installed. Water pump needs power. If it doesn't work replacements are available pretty cheap on Ebay. I replaced mine a few years ago. Easy job. So much to explain just take it one step at a time.

Linda S

The previous owner claimed everything worked but I haven't tried getting any of it to work yet. She said the fridge took forever to get cold so she just used it as a pantry. Said the furnace worked, the stove worked, and said she never tried to use the AC unit. Toilet is intact, but said she didn't use it and went outside. She hacked half the shower walls off (in the rear), and would just use the shower hose and stand outside with the back hatch open. Told me the water pumped fine and got hot. Engine battery was dead and needed replacing, and am assuming the coach battery is in the same state. Looks like I need to make sure the coach battery setup is working good before I do anything. Thanks for your response. Will try to get some photos up soon. 

IMG_5098.JPG

Though counter-intuitive, the fridge requires a source of heat to work, either 110v, 12v or propane. Operating on propane gives the weakest source of heat so it can take forever (hours and hours or overnight even) to cool down. Many get their fridge cool before leaving home using 110v before switching to either 12v or propane.

I'd be glad to show it off. I had a feeling it was rare. It's surprisingly in very clean shape inside and out. My dinette is behind the driver seat and the bath is in the rear passenger. It's a pretty cool setup. It doesn't have windows above the cab section like most sunraders I've seen, and only has one side window by the stove where most seem to have two. We've been calling it the "not so Sun-Rader". 

IMG_5096.JPG

Edited by DaveTreeRV
Added pic

When digging through paperwork I found this diagram. Looks like my rear bath model is classified as an Adventure1 and the rear dinette as an Adventure2. Most the Adventures out there I see are the rear dinette (Adventure2). I would think the 1st model of most anything would be more popular and there would be more of them in circulation? Is there a way to find out how many Adventure1's were produced? Or maybe a ballpark of how many are still out there on the road?

IMG_5112.JPG

If you could put any documents you have into our files I would appreciate it greatly. No idea how many are still on the road but if you take a drive to Advantage RV in Napa and talk to Dean he might know how many were built. Got to get him in a good mood though so call first and ask. Dean was the foreman at the Sunrader plant and built your motorhome I think. I'm pretty sure they were made at the California plant. Check the door jamb. Should have some info there. Oh that's Dean Elena

Linda S

https://www.yelp.com/biz/advantage-rv-center-napa

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the chance to see Dave's Adventure today. Well yesterday cause it's 2 in the morning now but wow he found a gem. Except for a few problems it looks like it's been shrink wrapped since new. Shiny gel coat, clean new looking interior. He's stocked and he has every right to be. What a great start for Toyota motor homing

Linda S