Hello all,

Starting on leaf spring bushing replacement today. I want to pull the rear wheels to check brakes and access springs easier.

Lugs are on super tight. I took it to a local tire shop. They could not get driver side lugs to move. One broke off. After examining broke lug, it seems it is reverse threads. The passenger side is normal thread. Is this common on these? Thanks, Bama.

On the units that had the axle upgrades its common, but not always. On units with factory hd axle its not common but has happended.

Its always the dirver side.

If you dont know remove a lug nut from the passanger side and see if it will start on the drivers side. Usually there is a thread of so sticking past the lug nug and you can tell fast.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

Starting on leaf spring bushing replacement today. I want to pull the rear wheels to check brakes and access springs easier.

Lugs are on super tight. I took it to a local tire shop. They could not get driver side lugs to move. One broke off. After examining broke lug, it seems it is reverse threads. The passenger side is normal thread. Is this common on these? Thanks, Bama.

Early rear 1 ton axles (1985) had left hand threads on the drivers side.

The axle I put in my diesel came off of a 1985 and is left hand thread.

The lug nuts usually have hash marks on them to identify them as left hand thread

http://www.toymike.com/diesel/pics/rearLeftThreadLugNuts.jpg

My front 5 to 6 lug adapters (also from the same 1985 donor truck) are marked with a large R stamped into the stud to identify them as right hand thread even though they are on the same side as the left hand threads on the rear axle

http://www.toymike.com/diesel/pics/R-stud.jpg

Toyota went away from left hand threads because too many studs were being broken off. Left hand threads are "normal" on over the road and heavy equipment applications.