1989 DOLPHIN V6

SCRIPAL

My 1989 Dolphin has a replacement V6 engine which is supposedly like the original one.  I need to replace the oil sending unit and I am unsure which part number to buy.  Any suggestions?  Also, do all the V6 engines like mine require valve adjustment?  Thanks

I'd be very surprised if there were different switches for different years 3VZEs. One thing I am certain of is that there are different switches depending on your dash type: the standard dash with warning light or the SR-5 dash with oil pressure gauge (and tach).

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,1990,pickup,3.0l+v6,1277793,electrical-switch+&+relay,oil+pressure+sender+/+switch,4588

Toyota Service Schedule shows the 'Valve check & adjust' (and timing belt) at 60k mile intervals.Many claim that they have extended these intervals massively. I'd have to say it all depends on how much you like gambling.

Unfortunately, as the 3VZE wears and goes out of adjustment, the clearances tend to close up and make LESS noise so you can't start to guess about clearances, unlike the 22RE. Doing a compression test will only tell you that your clearances are too tight after it's too late and you've probably burnt a valve (usually #6 exhaust first). Adjusting the valves is not a cheap job, but certainly cheaper than having the heads redone.

If you (or anyone else) does have them checked, please record and post what clearances were found and how many miles (if known) since last done.

my 1992 warrior had the head gasket recall performed in 1998 . i verified this with the vin through toyota usa. at the time of the head gasket recall, it had between 12,800 and 13,500 miles on it. my question is would the valve adjustment be included as part of the head gasket job ? or not? i am NOT a mechanic so i apologize for my ignorance. my rig currently has 53k. if it is normal and customary to adjust the valves at the time of the head gasket replacement, should i assume that i would be looking at the next valve adjustment at 60k AFTER the head gasket job? (13k +60k = 73k ) or should i be thinking of having the valve adjustment performed sooner. (53k +7k = 60k) .  can anyone who has had this done tell me what they paid for the adjustment?  thanks in advance joe from dover.

It should have been done I don't know if it is part of the Toyota recall or not but it only makes sense they can be done on the bench with the heads off. When in doubt check it out.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Hard to fell what they would have done all those years ago to an engine with only 13k miles on it. Probably would have done what the Toyota Service campaign instructed them to do. Agreed, it would be 'nice' if the instructions included checking and adjusting the valves. But the bottom line is the Dealer would be paid by Toyota to do what the Service Campaign told them to do.

thank you all for your comments and observations.  i suppose the only way to confirm if the valve adjustment was performed at the time of the head gasket replacement, would be to obtain a copy of the service work order from the dealership that performed the work.  i do know the name and location of the dealership and they are still in business, but if they would have a copy of the work order after all this time, and would also want to take the time to send me a copy is probably wishful thinking.  i could give that a try. most likely i should be thinking of having the valves adjusted sooner than later, just to be prudent. i would still like to have an idea of how much this procedure should cost. joe from dover