How to fix a crack in roof?

deannak

Next time, I will pay more attention to duct tape on roof left by last owner... :(

I removed some duct tape from one side of the roof, and found a nasty crack in the roof. :o There's one large crack over a foot long, with some shorter parallel cracks near it. When I feel this with my finger, it's just slightly higher on one side of the crack than the other.

This is on the front downward-slanting portion of the roof, near one side.  Based on the position of it, I'm guessing somebody hit a low-hanging tree branch.  Not fast enough to rip a hole in anything, but enough to leave these nasty cracks.  And then somebody covered it over with duct tape!

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and tips on the best way to fix this.  My first thought is to use Marine Tex for structural strength, followed by Eternabond tape.  I'd appreciate any comments and ideas, since you all have a lot more experience with this than I do.

Thanks!   -  Deanna.

roof-crack.jpg

One more note -- I haven't seen any evidence of leaking inside in this area, unlike other parts of the roof.  That's why I didn't pay any attention to this part until now.  After seeing how it looks now, I'm kind of surprised by that!

Edited by deannak

I would say the eterna bond tape over the area ( after proper cleaning ) should do it. there are many here with much more experience and knowledge than i have. maybe others have better solutions. joe from dover

I like this stuff for the roof "Dicor Lap Sealant". Wire brush the area to get as much crud cleaned off as possible. Use an air compressor or canned air to blow off the remaining dust. I make a small puddy knife carved from a stick and work the sealant into the area then apply more on top.