Hi! My break booster seal is leaking. I am going to need a new break booster and possibly a new master cylinder. 

I called the parts store and was getting pricing and they gave me two options 

a set up for the 3/4 ton pick-up

a set up for a one ton pick-up

I'm assuming mine is a 3/4 ton as that's what I'm riding on in the 83 Sunrader however is the one ton set up an option? If so would I benefit from it as I have a one ton rear end? 

Thanks ive included a pic of my mastercylinder / booster

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks like your   Brake Master Cylinder   is leaking to me.

12 hours ago, linda s said:

@linda sSuper helpful! I'll pick this up at oriellys..

I found these two break boosters on that same site.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/detail/OBH3/535175/01305.oap?year=1983&make=Toyota&model=Pickup&vi=1277197&ck=Search_Break+booster_1277197_5554&search=true&keyword=Break+booster

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/site/c/detail/OBH3/535156/01305.oap?year=1983&make=Toyota&model=Pickup&vi=1277197&ck=Search_Break+booster_1277197_5554&search=true&keyword=Break+booster

which one do you think. Both discriptions are throwing me off as one has 4 wheel drive as a bullet point and the other says Except 1 ton as a bullet point.

The terms "3/4 ton" or "1 ton" are useless.  You need a brake-booster for a 83 Toyota with a model-code  RN44L-KDA3W. Toyota OEM master-cylinder is # 47201-35270.   Cardone # is 132248.  Dorman # is M39658.

I used Orielly's parts interchange and their database comes up with the wrong master-cylinder (NMC1894). It only has a 7/8" bore.  NAPA comes up with the correct cylinder with their interchange - part # NMC2799.

We do not have any Orielly's here yet, but there is a new one being built. I will say I've had to use the twice when travelling, and their parts interchange is awful.

The master-cylinder that comes up when I do an OEM cross-reference at Orielly has a 7/8" bore that is incorrect.  Note though it also says the part "may" be incorrect.

NAPA comes up correct.  So does Rock Auto.

Also note that in 1983, there was no full-floating rear with the bigger brakes in back. I thought that might effect the choice of master-cylinder.  Seems not.  The later trucks that came OEM with a full-floating dually also have the 15/16" bore master-cylinder.

Image7.jpg

napa.jpg

rock1.jpg

30 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Cardone 132248 is described as a master cylinder WITH reservoir. Probably explains the difference, before battle-lines are drawn. :)

Yes it's hard to find ones with reservoirs. Good to know there are some out there.

Linda S

8 minutes ago, linda s said:

Somehow your Toyota  part number went in wrong at Oreilly. Looks like 47207 instead of 47201.

Linda S

Yes. That's what I get when I don't wear glasses.

On September 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM, jdemaris said:

Just curious - why do you need a replacement booster? Is your's stuck?  I've never seen one go bad on a Toyota (yet);

it was my understanding that when the master cylinder seal goes break fluid gets into the booster which eats away at the diaphragm and ruins it. So I figured I'd do both if I'm going to be replacing the cylinder. 

Seems to be no shortage of  boosters around.    Like I said earlier, I don't recall ever finding a bad booster on a Toyota truck.  Either your's holds a vacuum or it does not. Pretty easy to test.  If you had brake fluid leaking into it, and the booster was bad, your engine would of been smoking like crazy from burning brake fluid.  That used to be a common problem in 60s British cars with Girling brake systems. 

brake_booster.jpg