Advice on buying 1987 Escaper

Santiago

Hello,

I am set to buy a 1987 Escaper with about 50,000 miles on it, tomorrow....from the pictures and my conversation with the last 2 owners it seems that it has been well taken care of and in good shape...no issues with leaking, engine, or rust (unit has mostly been used in the midwest).  This will be my first motorhome and 3rd toyota vehicle...I have had excellent results with Toyota. 

I'm 6'2" and will be traveling with my wife (5'10")......we imagine we'll spend 3 months in California (traveling from Minnesota) visiting family and parks, a month or so in an RV park in "dry camp".  We have the idea of getting a solar panel so we would not need to run a generator.  Then perhaps we would leave our Escaper in storage in CA and fly home after our snowbird adventure.  We are both retired and have been doing this for a couple years...but in a tent....time for some more creature comforts!

So, what do you have to say to our general idea...especially driving over the Rocky's with a 4 cylinder.   I've got a 4 hour drive to get to the Escaper and being new, I'm sure I won't know exactly what I'm looking at like some of you would.  Is there anything in particular I should check out?

00d0d_lII0Xsw7bRU_50x50c.jpg00n0n_4c8TxFnOB7t_50x50c-1.jpg00V0V_TI8N7bYtlk_50x50c.jpg00y0y_iLMZJ8Iz27m_50x50c.jpg

24 minutes ago, Santiago said:

So, what do you have to say to our general idea

The ideas and questions seem a little disconnected but I get it in the context of excitement.  Depending on what you'd plan on running such as a fridge or AC, a solar panel is not a great replacement for a generator but at least the refrigerator in these run efficiently on propane.  AC however will require you be plugged in or have a suitably sized generator.

Ok, what to look for.  The section up front where you sleep is the first thing to check out.  Most of these if not maintained correctly, rot out.  Remove the cushions and feel for softness in both the platform and the walls.  Any sign of moisture should be a red flag.  The ceiling around the vents, living space, closet and cabinets should also be looked at closely.  If you have means of viewing the roof (I have a little giant type ladder) give that an inspection to look for any previous damage and overall condition.  On youtube I suggest you search for Dicor.  They are a manufacturer of sealants and have some videos there that are informative on inspecting the seams and also how to maintain them.

Have the seller demonstrate that everything works.  When I go camping, it takes me minutes to turn on the propane, turn on the water, fire up the water heater and get the fridge going.  While you inspect the rest, the fridge can be left to get cold.  If it has a roof top AC, it might be more difficult for the seller to get that up and running. The fridge and AC are the two biggest items as far as replacement costs.  Do a quick web search tonight on how to read the date code on automotive tires. Also check to be sure the correct tires are currently on the RV.  These should be load range D and in general, tires should not be excessively old.  7-10 years max.  Others might argue the 10 and say 7, some will say if there is no cracking 10.  Just better to know.  You've not a lot of time to learn so I'm covering a lot of general stuff with broad range.

Can't speak about the Rockies 4 cyl or otherwise.  I made the trip back east through Denver with an old Toyota Landcruiser and it gasped for air going up.  You will not be a speed demon in any case.

If you have been spending significant time in a tent with your wife, the transition to an RV should be pretty easy.  Months at a time with mine in our little tin can would likely mean death for one of us and we get along fabulously otherwise.

I'll let some others chime in but tomorrow is a short time away.

On 7/26/2016 at 6:08 PM, Santiago said:

I am set to buy a 1987 Escaper with about 50,000 miles on it, tomorrow

I know this post didn't get a whole lot of input.  It was pretty short notice and the forum is pretty quiet this week.  When you get the chance, let us know how you made out.  Keep asking questions.  We'll get around to answering them.

My 4 cylinder has been over bunch of 10-11,000 ft passes. The big hill was 12,120+ ft., 1st gear but made it.

ive had my sunrader well over 6800 lbs loaded down and passed evey mountain pass i hit in the rockies, basically exactly like 86rader says and I would add, dont expect it to be fast but hey you will keep pace with the semi trucks and might even pass one!

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 1987 Escaper with 22Re engine.  I just got back from a 4 week trip from Wisconsin through Rocky Mountain NP (Over Trail Ridge Road at 12,138 ft) We crossed the Rockies several times.  We also crossed Independence Pass (12,095 ft),  Tioga Pass (9943 ft), Logan Pass (6646 ft), Beartooth Highway (10,977 ft.)  and went up the west side of the Bighorn Mountains on Highway 14a (9,143 ft)  The only one that we had any problem with was Highway 14a because it was 95 degrees and the poor Toy truck got a little warm and had to rest on the way up .  That road is in excess of 10% grade.

We had no problem getting up any road as far as power.  Like 86rader said, just shift down and let the engine rev.  I was frequently in 1st gear turning 4000 rpm and the truck didn't have any problems except that one time on 14a.