I have to fess up that I just bought a gallon of 50/50 as I was changing out all the hoses on my Toy.  My car is a Volvo and takes some expensive European stuff and I just didn't want to have two extra jugs of Antifreeze taking up space in my garage. So, I bought a jug of regular, a gallon of distilled water filled the system with that and used a little of the 50/50 to finish off and have on hand in case of any leaks or evaporation.  ( I could handle the advanced math that said I would need a little more than two gallons but less than 3;-)

Wade

Edited by Wade

It won't answer the question for some but convenience is often the driving factor in a lot of such decisions.  One of the most expensive ways to purchase coffee is those little Kurig pods.  It figures a bit over $50 a pound.  The only thing more expensive is going to a coffee shop. So how hard is it to brew coffee?  Water, beans and a filter.

3 minutes ago, Wade said:

I have to fess up that I just bought a gallon of 50/50

I'm not going to judge you Wade.  Can't speak for the others however.

Yeah, but why don't they sell the premix at a comparable price? Cause they're just messing with you. If they sold it for a couple or 3 dollars more, one would be more prone to pay for the convenience. A lot of auto parts stores don't sell the distilled water so that entails another stop if you want to do it right. I'll bet the premix price comes down in a few years as someone is bound to come up with more competitive pricing.

I guess I'm veering of the Toyota subject a bit - but the 50/50 price seems all about convenience.   Anybody here use Roundup as a weed-killer?   Roundup or a generic brand of the same thing (glyphosate) sells for crazy prices in "small dilluted doses" for gardeners.  I pay $26 for 2 1/2 gallons at full  41% strength and it makes 320 gallons of spray.  The little gardener's bottles at Home Depot are $13 and make 5 gallons of the same strength mix.  So I pay 8 cents per gallon, whereas people who buy those small "covenient" bottles are paying $2.60 per gallon.   Same sort of reasoning with the 50/50 coolant but BIGGER price disparity.

2 hours ago, jdemaris said:

I guess I'm veering of the Toyota subject a bit - but the 50/50 price seems all about convenience.   Anybody here use Roundup as a weed-killer?   Roundup or a generic brand of the same thing (glyphosate) sells for crazy prices in "small dilluted doses" for gardeners.  I pay $26 for 2 1/2 gallons at full  41% strength and it makes 320 gallons of spray.  The little gardener's bottles at Home Depot are $13 and make 5 gallons of the same strength mix.  So I pay 8 cents per gallon, whereas people who buy those small "covenient" bottles are paying $2.60 per gallon.   Same sort of reasoning with the 50/50 coolant but BIGGER price disparity.

We may get spanked for this one JD. The glyphosphate undiluted has a shelf life of 7 years. I have about a qt left out of a gallon I bought 4 years ago. I know the mixed shelf life is much shorter but do not know the exact time?   When coffee at the gas station went to 99 cents a cup I quit buying it!  Anyone want to hazard a guess how long ago that was?  

So now to work red into this to avoid a spanking,  how long is the shelf life of Toyota red, diluted and undiluted?  Is there a double penalty here?