Engine and Transmission repair on 1976 Chinook

I'm exploring the idea of of diving into a chinook project because I think they are RAD and I see a lot of application for me and how I like to travel.  I don't have any particular knowledge of mechanics, but I'm not afraid to learn.  That being said I'd like to start with something solid that won't leave me stranded or feeling too pissed off though I understand some of that just comes with owning old cars (I also have an obsession with e30 BMW's and while I've never had any major expenses repairing any of them, there have been a few rando circumstances that took some time and dollars to work out)  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand that I'm buying something old and I completely accept that. 

Currently I have on my radar a gutted 1976 Chinook that according to the owners needs the head replaced.  I don't have any fascination with the original interiors so the gutted part seems beneficial to me.  The floor has been replaced and any weirdness in the fiberglass seems to have been appropriately repaired.  I would actually prefer to make it as solar powered as possible and add some other modernized upgrades including ac and induction burner if possible.  That's all for me to nerd out on my own I guess.... there is no shortage of ideas of course.

Where I'm at a loss then are mechanics.  I'm curious what people think would be the best options in terms of repair, what other mechanical/operational upgrades I should I expect and what to watch out for.  Can anyone recommend an awesome mechanic in the Portland area?  What are reasonable rates to do this kind of work?  I'd like to get it to a decent mechanical state for buzzing around the country in and I'm willing to put some money into it upfront to give me peace of mind.  Along the way, I hope to learn more about fine tuning without having to worry about major mechanical failure but accept that shit happens 

Thank you in advance for any advice.  Cheers!  

Edited by maqsamillion

"Completely Solar" and Toyota Chinook don't fit in the same sentence.

Running an inductive cooktop and a dc AC system would need a ton of batteries, literally and 150 sq ft of solar panels.

Maybe, I guess now the important thing is how your planning on using it. Lots of stays in full service campgrounds or dry camping. Also WHERE YOU WILL BE USING IT.