Just picked up a 1984 21ft Sunrader with the 22r, she is gutless going up long hills and will top out at 25mph. Wondering what you guys with the efi are experiencing? Its about the easiest conversion without putting in a different motor. 

Pretty much the same. Of course it depends on how steep the hill is. I attempted one hill where my rig just stopped and mine is an 18 footer so it weighs less. Welcome to the world of Toyota motorhomes

Linda S

18 hours ago, MtnManIdaho said:

Just picked up a 1984 21ft Sunrader with the 22r, she is gutless going up long hills and will top out at 25mph. Wondering what you guys with the efi are experiencing? Its about the easiest conversion without putting in a different motor. 

Auto trans or manual? I have a 1988 with a 22RE and auto-trans. It is gutless on hills just as you describe.  If fact, when it had the OEM 4.1 to 1 rear-axle, and I stopped half-way up a steep hill - it could NOT get going again. Converter would just slip and make heat.  To be fair, my full-size  V8 diesel Chevy truck did the same - but that was 4WD so all I had  to do is stick it in low-range and all was OK.

I drove a 1985,21 foot Dolphin with a manual trans and a carbed 22R, and it climbed hills better then mine.

• 3 months later...

just got  86 escaper and in pa , all towns are in the bottom valley 25 mph

then the hill going back up with increasing speeds allowed

[allowed , not achieved , lol ]

just smile and acknowledge they all think ur #1

My 94 V6 auto which appears to be in good tune, is not that bad!   "not that bad" is of course subjective, depends on grade, wind direction and elevation. On this trip across the top of the US and down through CA and over to NV  I do not believe I have been down to 25 mph, 35 several times but did not want to push the motor in 2nd gear.

It is also surprisingly quick in stop and go city traffic, but does not get 20 mpg.

Might ask if someone would take you for a ride in a V6 or ask MtDave for an adrenaline pumping ride in his V8 :  )  

Jim

Opp's  I misthought and decided you wanted to put in different motor.

Edited by jjrbus

I have an '88 Escaper with a 22Re and auto transmission.  

I have climbed some very steep, long hills including the Beartooth Highway, Going to the Sun Road, and the Bighorn Mtns on 14A from the west.  I never ran out of power but I did run out of cooling and started getting warm on the long climbs.  I think that I be putting on a larger radiator before my next long trip.

Edited by Bob C