I have a 1986 Toyota Odessey with the 1 ton dually chassis and the automatic transmission with over drive. The transmission just went out and I am looking for a replacement. Everywhere that I have checked keeps asking me box or no box. I assume box means a box truck and no box is cab an chassis. Which one would I choose for my camper? I'm sure the truck went to the manufacturer with just the cab and chassis, but since it has a motor home on the chassis now would it be considered "box".

I can't image what difference would be between the 2 options. I assume it's just a question that appears on a computer screen (as it is on car-part.com) that they blindly ask without knowing why. Call back and say you want one of each and see what they say!

There are two different A43D transmissions used in Toyota motorhomes and pickups that I know of, with the 22R or 22RE.  But after 1985, I see only one used for standard pickups and RVs.  The code numbers on trans and the color code on the torque-converter is what tells you for sure. One (the older versions) have a torque-converter that is 5.3" deep.   The 1985 and up have a torque-converter that is  4.5" deep. I have no idea if there is any difference in stall-speeds between the two. If it was mine - I'd have it rebuilt and would jerk around with an exchange unit.  Other then the torque-converter - I think the only difference in some (with no lock-up) is the oil-pan.

They are an easy rebuild the only issue would be the governor bore in the rear of the case the tools to repair it are not some thing a normal shop would have I would take it to an independent ATRA shop and have them do it.