Locking spare tire?

jjrbus

I have 3 bolts with SAE threads, not lug nuts holding the spare on the rear of the Toy.  Any input on how to add a lock?  I thought of drilling a bolt and adding lock, but anything that small would be easy to snap off? At the price I am more concerned about the rim than the tire!  

Jim

IMG_0791.JPG

45 minutes ago, jjrbus said:

I have 3 bolts with SAE threads, not lug nuts holding the spare on the rear of the Toy.  Any input on how to add a lock?  I thought of drilling a bolt and adding lock, but anything that small would be easy to snap off? At the price I am more concerned about the rim than the tire!  

Ji

You kind of lost me.  What bolt isn't SAE in this country if not metric?  Do you mean you have SAE UNC instead of SAE UNF?  I cannot tell by the photo, but if you have 1/2 bolts with coarse thread - just change one to fine threads (SAE UNF) and buy a locking lug-nut. They come in SAE 1/2" X 20, 7/16" X 20, 9/16" X 20, etc.

Did not mean to lose anyone. They are a 9/16 UNC.  I suppose I could replace one with a  fine thread or buy the Curt lock..

Thanks for the responses        Jim  SW FL.  

I understood what you meant.  As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.  I can't imagine you'd need much of a lock unless there has been a rash of 14" toyota tires being stolen lately.

In storage I leave my vehicle unlocked.  I had a friend who had one in storage and the thieves did an incredible amount of damage busting into it and the storage compartments. I would rather lose what is in the unit than have it damaged, plus locks only keep honest people honest. 

It is while traveling where the see and grab lowlifes abound that concerns me. 

my advice would be to use a locking lug nut; that's what they've been using on expensive rims on Mercedes and other luxury cars for years. Essentially you would need a special adaptor on that one lugnut that you would keep in a drawer.

• 1 month later...

This one was soooo simple, surprised you guys did not think of it.  The bolt heads are exposed on the inside, I simply loosened one of them.  So now trying to remove or replace one nut takes 2 wrench's one on the inside and one on the outside.

Jim SW FL

1 hour ago, jjrbus said:

This one was soooo simple, surprised you guys did not think of it.  The bolt heads are exposed on the inside, I simply loosened one of them.  So now trying to remove or replace one nut takes 2 wrench's one on the inside and one on the outside.

Jim SW FL

So, NASA got your resume yet?

38 minutes ago, Back East Don said:

So, NASA got your resume yet?

Unlikely they kept it from when I hired out, nice still having access to Pleiades. Don't know what I would do without it:rolleyes: