I posted this in "general" forum  and realize now it belongs in the this forum...

I LOVE my new Dolphin, but something is a little off.  Actually two things, possibly related so I guess I should list them both...

It idles smooth, gets decent mileage (13-15 mpg), but it can't always maintain 55 in 4th gear (OD) on level ground.  If it had just 5-10% more HP...

Also, on steep grades I have to shift into second and I prefer to drive 45, it will stay in 2nd up to 55 floored but that seems like excessive RPM's (no gauge), so I downshift and stay at 45.  If I let the tranny decide, I am constantly slowing down in 3rd or accelerating in 2nd.

The second issue is that the tranny temp light comes on frequently, only at times when there might be cause (a moderate grade on a moderately hot day), but more than I would expect.  Even on a moderately hot day in 4th (OD) without a grade.  I'm talking high 80's, not crazy hot.  The motor temp gauge was a little hot on the grade, too, but nothing extreme, and even without that slight motor temp spike the tranny temp light came on a couple of times.

It has 105,000 miles, I feel like if I had 5-10% more power and a little more cooling capacity I'd be in heaven, but both are just a bit off.  Advice?

Welcome to the world of Toyota motorhomes. You do realize your driving the equivalent of a Celica with a house on it's back right. It has the horsepower it has and there's not much you can do about it. I never use 4th gear, overdrive. The differential gearing is not low enough to sustain speed even on flat roads when your in 4th unless you've got a tailwind. Some members here have switched out the differential so they can use 4th effectively.  The transmission in the 22re is susceptible to overheating especially in 4th. There is no locking torque converter so the constant slippage causes heat. Check and make sure your fluid doesn't smell burnt or is brown. If so change it. Many people add a transmission cooler but since you have a tranny temp gauge seems like someone has already done some stuff. Didn't come stock.

Yes on steep grade 45 would be considered good speed. 55 is too fast in second. There's only so much you can do when driving a heavy vehicle powered by a 4 cylinder. Yours sounds normal

Linda S                                                                                                                                

I agree with Linda,   you probably have a 4 cyl so double so.  

If you had a V6 I would say you were not making power, but based on the 4 cyl I drove in Florida once upon a time, what you say does not seem that far off.   

I would definitely check the tranny fluid.   I gather the 4 cyl guys can burn up a tranny very easily.  Tranny fluid does not like hot!   The fluid breaks down and $$$$ tranny rebuild time.  If you are operating in hilly areas I would get an add on temp gauge that mounts where the dipstick enter tranny.   If you do not have an aux tranny cooler I would get one - they are not that much.  

I also would NOT recommend one of the "power  flush" tranny fluid changes.   They can break minute particles lose, clog orifices - not good.    Instead, either change the few quarts in the pan repeatedly or disconnect the hose going into the cooler (base of radiator) and with engine idling measure what comes out and add new in the same amounts.  A helper would be a great idea and if you fall behind shut the engine off till you catch up adding.  You will need about 3 gallons to do it  Not sure about the 4 cyl but the 6 specs Devron II

If your fluid is brown, black or smells burnt you need to change it.

First, welcome to the forum. 

There is plenty of discussion here with regard to power and OD.  I'll add to the mix a bit.  One variable I've surmised from reading the forum and my own experience is weight. A lot of these old RV's have had a lot of remodeling done.  I have an 87 Itasca micro mini.  While no speed demon, I have no issues with hitting 55 on flats OD or not.  There was of course a learning curve with figuring out how to approach driving this under powered rig.  The technique I use is much like a stick shift where I pay most of my attention to where the gas pedal is and adjust the gearing accordingly. I keep the engine rpm's at a comfortable level and raise or lower the gear but my speed is whatever the engine is comfortable at.  What I've noticed doing this is that my temp gauge is noticeably cooler than if I just keep the OD off.  So like a stick, highest gear the engine is comfortable at.

The thing that concerns me is you say you cannot sometimes maintain 55 on flats.  I have no idea how your Dolphin compares with mine for size and weight but first thing I'd start with is figuring out the baseline, starting with how much it weighs fully loaded (especially if its been remodeled).  Mines a paltry 5600lbs (loaded for a trip) and it drives along fairly well.  Inclines are proportionately slower.  Hot summer weather, I drive more moderately.  Start with adjusting the driving style.  Then if you are still having temp issues, start looking at cooling.

• 2 weeks later...

My second long trip on flat ground went much better in terms of overdrive, I think I may have been dealing with some subtle headwinds the day I took it home.

I am concerned about the overheating though, the "high trans temp" light comes on a lot, when it does I try to baby and when I think it might I try to stay out of fourth but it's even come on in third.

If in fact there is no tranny cooler, that's good news, because I'm happy to add one. I'm surprised to hear it didn't come with one though  any advice on how I could check?

I see the radiator and two other coolers up there, I'm assuming one is the AC but with the second be the transmission?  

I said it before but your rig didn't come with a trannie temp light. Where is it located. Show us a pic of it. Aftermarket additions might be faulty. Always safer to stay out of 4th though with the a43d trannie unless going downhill. 

Linda