Check engine light

jjrbus

I would think so.  my '85 chassis with 4 cyl engine and manual trans has one....i'd expect a newer and more sophisticated drivetrain would too.

When I take a break I read about no start issues and the Check engine light is referenced.   In the manual the instrument cluster does not show a check engine light, but does show a malfunction indicator lamp.  Later in the manual it shows a check engine light symbol?   Mine is not lighting up when I turn the key to on.   Jim

AAAAAAA.PNG

Yup, 93 has a CEL.  I pulled my instrument cluster and bulb was good.  Grounding the W wire at the ECM causes the CEL to come on! The first time I tried grounding it I must not have had a good connection.

does the cel come on with the ignition switch on - engine not running?

I guess you could set the jumpers to see of the cel will flash - as in reading a cel code. it should flash with the jumper even of no codes are set.

Yes bulb tests good and will light when connected to ground at EMC plug.  Does not come on when turning on ign or jumping diagnostic connector.  All of this is leading me believe I have a bad ECM!

On 2016-05-15 at 1:01 PM, jjrbus said:

Yes bulb tests good and will light when connected to ground at EMC plug.  Does not come on when turning on ign or jumping diagnostic connector.  All of this is leading me believe I have a bad ECM!

if the engine runs and especially if it runs well, I would look elsewhere.    How bout the other in dash lights?   I would compare with a service manual to see ---could be as simple as a bad bulb socket.  When the CEL flashes, the overdrive off light should also flash ( unless OD off button is pushed in).  Me experience reading CEL codes is that it is touchy getting a good connection on the TE2/E1 jumper.  It is easy to push the TE2/E1 connectors back, which also makes establishing a good contact challenging.

I have never looked at my in dash lights - hopefully I will not have too

I am assuming a V6/auto, so the OD off light is something easy to check. Start the engine I push in the button on the gear shift lever & the OD off light should illuminate. 

Good luck, a bad connection can be hard to run down.  

As near as I can tell the FSM in many cases cannot pinpoint a defective ECM.   A little disclaimer I am not a mechanic nor have an electronics back ground!